Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 06:26 PM

a New England/Canada cruise 9, 10 or 14 day. The wife is retiring the end of June and wants to see the fall colors. I have traveled in Canada a number of times and places (by plane and car) but she has never crossed the border. Any advice please - Don
Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

You have some choices but it depends on what your expectations are, and your lifestyle. Nobody wants to recommend you take X cruise and then after the second day aboard you realize that cruise line isn't your cup of tea.

Since you posted in the NCL Section is that the only line you are looking at? Have you ever taken a cruise? If so, with what lines?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi Dave

We have been with Carnival to the islands (Nassau and Freeport) and with Princess up north (Alaska); both were great trips! Checking the different cruiseline, there are a large number of options and prices. The cruise company is open at this time, NCL looked to be a good place to start. Looking at a balcony cabin to be able to better see the sights. Please pass along any helpful tips. Don
Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Don,

I am not a good source of information for NCL. I haven't cruised with them for quite a while. We did an 8-night cruise to Canada/New England this past summer on Royal Caribbean and loved every moment of it. I see the Enchantment Of The Seas is one of your choices. I'd look at it.

Since we are talking about many choices I am going to move this thread to the General Cruise Chat section.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply and advice - Don
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 AM

Holland America has some nice itineraries for Canada/New England.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat. As you undoubtedly know by now, there are a number of possible itineraries for the Canada/New England (C/NE) run. I've done about a half dozen of these cruises, and would highly recommend an itinerary that includes a port stop in Quebec City. It's an amazing city and also offers a contrast to the other ports of call typically on a C/NE cruise (which are wonderful, as well). It is also very exciting to sail down the St. Lawrence River...and what a view that would be from your balcony.

Just a few words on fall foliage from someone who lives on the New England coast -- its timing is unpredictable, and the best foliage is further inland. So, while this is certainly a criterion to use when selecting time of year, be sure to select an itinerary that has a variety of ports of call that interest you on their own.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I just looked at those Holland America itineraries. I like the idea of starting in Quebec and ending at Port Everglades.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the advice, half the fun is trying to put it together. All the cruiselines have great options, hard to choose just one. Not sure why the big difference in price from one cruise vs. another, still working on that one. One question - is a passport required? If you are traveling by air, I am pretty sure it is a must. Understand you can get into Canada without it but can not re-enter the US. I have one but the boss must be waiting for them to go on sale. Wish she was that way with shoes! --- Don
Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Look at our Passport FAQ for details. Closed loop is the deciding factor. If you board a cruise in one U.S. port and it ends in a different U.S. port you need a passport. No exceptions. If you board or end a cruise in a foreign port, everyone has to have a passport. Any air travel out of, or back to, the U.S. requires a passport. No exceptions. Bottom line - "the boss" needs to get a passport.

Closed Thread