Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 AM

We have about a 4-5 hour wait between the time our ship docks in port (or when we're expected to get off the ship) to when our flight leaves from Fort Lauderdale in mid-November. Does anyone have any advice about what we can do without a car? We really don't want to sit around the airport. We're heading back to cold weather and want to enjoy the Florida sunshine as long as we can. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 AM

We have about a 4-5 hour wait between the time our ship docks in port (or when we're expected to get off the ship) to when our flight leaves from Fort Lauderdale in mid-November. Does anyone have any advice about what we can do without a car? We really don't want to sit around the airport. We're heading back to cold weather and want to enjoy the Florida sunshine as long as we can. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Which is it? Docking time or expected disembarkation? Either, 4-5 hours really isn't a lot of time to kill. Don't forget you have to consider getting to the airport minimum 1- 1 1/2 hours ahead for check-in/security and be in the gate area. The airport is only a couple of miles from Port Everglades. But you still have to consider transporting times with traffic. You also have your luggage to consider. The ship may offer a checked luggage program. If not, then you have the luggage to deal with.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

The earliest flights from FLL that the cruise lines recommend are 11:30am or later. So for a 7am arrival in port that is 4.5 hours difference. When is your flight? At best, the first passengers won't be leaving the ship until 8am. Also consider that boarding usually starts at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure time.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 AM

If you really have time to kill, you could take the water taxi to Las Olas Boulevard and check out the shops there. You'd need to get your bags to the airport first, they have a baggage check area, then you'd need to take a taxi back to Pier 66 or the Grand to catch the water taxi. Another option might be a post cruise excursion. As Cruise Fanatic and Dave said, you probably won't have that much time, though. I know how sad that is.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your suggestions! I guess a lot will depend on when we can get off the ship. The last cruise we were on, the Customs people were late by about 2 hours and held everything up! Our flight leaves FLL at 4:00 in the afternoon.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Sometimes the cruise lines will have a debarkation excursion in which they'll take your luggage to the airport. I did this on Carnival several years ago at San Juan and visited the rain forest because I had a late flight.

Dwayne
Old 07-13-2009, 02:53 PM

What I do is do a little research before I go, and have an hotel in mind, in your case I would choose the Sheraton. I take a taxi to the hotel, check my bags with doorman, tip in hand, enjoy the pool and take advantage of the free shuttle to the airport with plenty of time to spare. My mother and I did this on our last trip, and I have done it several times on my own. A couple of money tips, and a nap is easy to take after a long cruise, and early disembarking morning. More realxing than an airport.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
peggy46168 - I believe there is a very nice harbor tour of Ft. Lauderdale, available thru the cruiselines. They pick you up with your baggage, take you to a tour both by bus and on a riverboat, and drop you at the airport. It is not very expensive, runs only a few hours and solves some logistics problems. Check with the tours offered by your cruiseline! It is very relaxing and fun - I have done it and had a great orientaion as to Ft.Lauderdale!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

ps Look under the heading"Post Cruise Tours"

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, airport, cruise, disembarkation, disembarking, flight, fort, latest, lauderdale, long, radiance, seas, ship, time, wait