Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
two way radios can be very annoying for fellow guests if not used discretely
Yes, I've been on a couple of cruises where the radio chatter around the pool deck sounded like an accident scene on the TV show COPS. On the Oasis last December there was this one older man who apparently had hearing problems. I encountered him at least three times yelling into his radio while standing in the middle of the promenade. "WHAT? SAY THAT AGAIN!" Very annoying.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM

I sure don't want to suggest cell phones or texting because the charges would be astronomical. Here's our chance to make a fortune. Develop a private wireless LAN that you could use anywhere to run a small texting application on a frequency that would not interfere with any other transmissions. Similar to a VPN only wireless.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 AM
ok Penny3333 That sounds interesting
how can you do that?? becuase this will same me a lot of trouble with my my nephew on my next cruise

just a note

I bought a cellular phone with WIFI and I am planning to use it to call to Puerto Rico during my cruise, using the new services "to call" by using their wifi or the internet on the islands
I don't really know if there are a lot of the islands that have WIFI option but this is going to be interesting becuase if I can get a wifi signal then the cellphone charges should be a lot less money than the cruise line option.
I'll report if this idea works...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM

The problem with your idea Penny is that the cruise liens already have that... and they are charging a fortune to use their WIFI. If the set up a ship only network that people could attach to, then they would need a server to handle the server side protocols... It can be done but the ships would want a piece of the action.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I bought a cellular phone with WIFI and I am planning to use it to call to Puerto Rico during my cruise, using the new services "to call" by using their wifi or the internet on the islands
I don't really know if there are a lot of the islands that have WIFI option but this is going to be interesting becuase if I can get a wifi signal then the cellphone charges should be a lot less money than the cruise line option.
Sounds like a good idea if it works. I found a site that lists free wifi areas on some of the islands. Don't know if they work, but here is a link to the site.

I'm going to try to check my email from Key West. I feel like starting a petition for Carnival to include 30 minutes of internet as a Platinum Perk.

Dwayne
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Jim, it would definitely have to be using satellites, and it would definitely have to be a different frequency than what is already used, and it would have to operate like a VPN so that only subscribers who pay could use it. But, you're right, everyone would want a cut. The technology is there, it just takes money to implement and market. Maybe Bill would fund us
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
People often carry a couple of pads of post-it-notes to leave messages for the roommate(s)

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, contact, cruise, family, group, keeping, large, people, radios, royal, ship, stay, staying, touch, ways