Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 AM

We just came back from an RCI cruise on Majesty of the Seas. My wife is on a gluten free diet and they couldn't have been more accommodating. I was wondering if anyone has cruised any other cruise lines and experienced gluten free dining, and how did it go?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM

You say accommodating, how were the selections, etc? I hear of more people that are gluten intolerant and may be interested in options.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I have traveled on Princess with friends who must have a gluten-free diet; they were very happy with the service and the selections. The only disappointment was they couldn't dine at Sabatini's with the rest of us: there were no gluten-free choices.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Most cruise lines will accommodate special dietary needs with two weeks notice.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Carnival accommodates Gluten-free diets as well. I haven't read many reviews about it. Look here for info.

Dwayne
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by peter l:
You say accommodating, how were the selections, etc? I hear of more people that are gluten intolerant and may be interested in options.

Peterl
My wife is not only gluten free, but also egg free, dairy free, wheat free, and cannot process fiber. So for her, the selection of food is usually plain chicken and a baked potato. But RCI had a very good selection. They had hot fresh Gluten free bread every night, pancakes at breakfast, and special deserts. She didn't try the desert because it contained dairy, and it was the wait staff who realized this BEFORE it came out to us. We did eat at the windjammer for lunch one day because the main dining room was closed. Our head waiter had sent a special request and the meal was waiting for us when we got there! We were only on a 3 night cruise, so there weren't as many meals, but there was always the option of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, salads, etc. We never felt like they were trying to accommodate a "special diet", rather they made us feel like they truly cared and were really looking out for us in what was served to us. Some people (my wife included) are VERY sensitive to Gluten, and cross contamination from a carving knife can make them severely ill. RCI and their staff went out of their way to make our trip a safe and healthy one!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Thank you for sharing that with us ChrisFLH70. It has to be extremely hard for your wife to enjoy food, and food is such a huge part of a cruise. I am happy to hear that RCI did all they could to make her cruise enjoyable. I do know Princess does a great job with special diets, too. I'm sure that all the lines do too, but it's nice to hear that some will go out of their way.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, cruising, dairy, egg, explorer, free, gluten, line, majesty, meals, norwegian, reviews, seas, ship