Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 05:10 PM

We are first time cruisers going to the western caribbean Sept 2005. Plan on going on a horse riding excursion in Ocho Rios and snorkling/stingray city tour in Grand Cayman.
Would like to know if these excursions are suitable for complete beginners, neither of us have been horse riding or snorkling before. Also as regard to tipping the guides etc., what is the usual tip that you give? do not want to offend anyone by giving the wrong amount.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Tessa
Old 08-25-2004, 05:10 PM

We are first time cruisers going to the western caribbean Sept 2005. Plan on going on a horse riding excursion in Ocho Rios and snorkling/stingray city tour in Grand Cayman.
Would like to know if these excursions are suitable for complete beginners, neither of us have been horse riding or snorkling before. Also as regard to tipping the guides etc., what is the usual tip that you give? do not want to offend anyone by giving the wrong amount.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Tessa
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM

That's a great question. I would like to know as well. We are going on our first cruise Sept. 18 on Enchantment. Your points of destination are exactly like ours. We do Jamaica first and the the Caymans. Are you on the same ship?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

I read in sunday's travel section that $1 pp for a 4 hour and $2 pp for a 8 hour trip is the recommended amount. My wife said I guess we were over tipping. I guess it depends on what you feel it is worth.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:09 AM

Hi Blessed and Ridgid

Thanks for your replies. We are going on Navigator of the Seas Sept 3rd 2005. To celebrate our 25th Wedding
Anniversary. Really looking forward to it.
I always get confused as to how much you are supposed to tip! What they said in the travel section sounds ok.

Regards
Tessa
Old 09-15-2004, 11:46 AM

I have been to Grand Cayman and stayed 15 days to scuba dive. I did go to Stingray City which was wonderful and EASY! When are you going? Is the hurricane going to affect the trip? My recommendation for snorkeing is to practice first either on shore or at a port before you go to GC. If you are a very comfortable swimmer then go ahead and take the short lesson on the boat out to Stingray city. You could also practice in your pool, hottub, or bath tub before hand to get the breathing down. People have a tendency to kind of hyperventilate the first time because your body tells you not to breath under water. That is why I suggest practice in ANY type of water. Stingray city is a MUST SEE...it is VERY cool! You won't see many fish. It is a huge sandbar with a lot of stingrays that you can feed.

HAVE A BLAST!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 PM

Our trip is not until next year Sept 2005. It seems a long way off, but still very excited to be going on our first cruise. Really looking forward to seeing the stingrays. We are not strong swimmers especially me... so will practice with the snorkel, thanks, great advice. Just hope hurricane season is not as bad as this year.

Closed Thread

Tags
hore, riding, tipping, tips