Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 08:49 PM

We wanted to go on our 1st cruise at xmas time. My husband teaches so our vacations have to be taken at the peak times like Xmas and Easter. BUT we didnt realize how expensive it would be! Our available dates are 12/26-1/2. I am really disappointed that a cruise is out of our reach. I'll just live vicariously through all of you.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:57 PM

Oh man! Christmas is an expensive time to travel anywhere. Cruising at Christmas guarantees the cruise lines that they will be full, so they go for the full fare. Even then, check the cost of food, entertainment, accommodations and transportation against a land-based vacation. I think cruises still offer value, but that is just my opinion.

One of the things my wife and I have done over the Christmas season is to take 3 or 4 days off and vacation at a local (drive to) spot. It used to be Santa Barbara, (until it got too expensive), to get a vacation with a minimum impact on our budget.

Whatever you decide, have a great vacation!

Tom
Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 AM

Dawn and Mike,
Don't despair just yet! As a former school teacher, who loves to cruise, I can totally empathize. I had to bite the bullet and pay premium prices to indulge my passion. However, I have discovered some tips that might help. First get in touch with a cruise travel agent who is very knowledgeable. Ask if he/she is part of a large consortium like Vacation.com, AmericanExpress or Virtuoso. If so, they often have group space on numerous Christmas sailings that make the cruise more affordable. It may still cost a little bit more than off-peak deal rates, but still won't break a teacher's tight budget.
Secondly, if that fails and you still can't find anything for the Christmas holiday - opt for a Spring Break cruise - I know there is availability on a number of Spring Break group pricing cruises right now. And last year, even though this may not hold true this season, there were huge bargains being offered by cruise lines for individual bookings even during Easter Week.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
carival, christmas, comments, cons, cost, cruise, cruises, december, decemeber, expensive, opinion, pros, review, reviews, suggestions