Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 06:17 PM

I was recently on the Navigator of the Seas and had unlimited in-cabin Internet access. One of the group members I was traveling with told me about a software program called SKYPE (www.SKYPE.com) where you can download it on your laptop for free and then use it like it was a telephone for free (for other SKYPE users) or for 1.6 euro a minute to call an international telephone number.

I was skeptical, but downloaded it anyway. It worked GREAT! I was able to call my wife from the middle of the Caribbean Sea numerous times with no problem. If she would have had SKYPE loaded on her computer, it would have been totally free to call her. As it was, I believe I only spent a few cents on the phone calls.

If you have a cruise coming up and want to telephone the folks back home, take a long look at SKYPE as a viable solution.

There is a slight time delay on dial up access, but not any worse than most International calls. and to make it work the best, you should purchase a digital headset with a microphone that is USB driven.

Check it out. I think you will find it amazing and well worth your attention.

Tom
Old 10-30-2004, 06:17 PM

I was recently on the Navigator of the Seas and had unlimited in-cabin Internet access. One of the group members I was traveling with told me about a software program called SKYPE (www.SKYPE.com) where you can download it on your laptop for free and then use it like it was a telephone for free (for other SKYPE users) or for 1.6 euro a minute to call an international telephone number.

I was skeptical, but downloaded it anyway. It worked GREAT! I was able to call my wife from the middle of the Caribbean Sea numerous times with no problem. If she would have had SKYPE loaded on her computer, it would have been totally free to call her. As it was, I believe I only spent a few cents on the phone calls.

If you have a cruise coming up and want to telephone the folks back home, take a long look at SKYPE as a viable solution.

There is a slight time delay on dial up access, but not any worse than most International calls. and to make it work the best, you should purchase a digital headset with a microphone that is USB driven.

Check it out. I think you will find it amazing and well worth your attention.

Tom
Old 10-31-2004, 04:53 AM

Tom,
What a wonderful find! If it works as you say it does, it makes leaving home so much easier. I have had to be careful when booking cruises with too many days at sea because I was unable to communicate home. Thanks for the info.
Suzi
Old 10-31-2004, 06:05 AM

It worked well for me, but I don't want to make the representation that it will work well for everyone. I was on a slow dial up access and it was OK with a cheap headset plugged into the sound card. The digital USB driven quality headset made all the difference in the world. One of the gals I told on the cruise actually was able to use it by yelling into the microphone on her computer.

This is the missing link for me, as I cruise all the time and am dependent on prepaid international telephone cards that only work when I am in port. With SKYPE, I can call anytime I want for nothing. It is really cool!

Tom
Old 11-04-2004, 04:05 PM

I don't wanna disappoint you, but I was on Navigator October 23th to 30th 2004 and ALL data transfer from ship to shore was blocked by the ship's router.

I used CyberCabin several times in the past and simple protocols like FTP worked fine on all RCI ships (Explorer, Brilliance). So I was able to upload vacation pics to my webserver as well as other file transfers on these vacations.

On my recent voyage on Navigator ALL file ship-to-shore file transfers were completely blocked. So only simple websurfing was possible. I was able to connect my FTP server, but on all file uploads not even one packet of data arrived at the server.

I was able to connect webmail servers, but even the data entered to login was blocked..

After several reclaims at the ship's IT-guy, he admitted, that "some functions" are blocked, without specifying any details. Last not least they refunded the cyber cabin fees.

I guess, that RCI is trying to prevent any VoIP applications to run. The now offer WiFi access in several public lounges of the ship, but this is charged 50cent/min.

Alex
Old 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM

Hmmm, I was on the 10/02 sailing of the Navigator and SKYPE worked great. I wonder if this is a change in direction for them? Huge mistake, in my opinion, if it is.

Did you get any firm direction from the IT guy? If they refunded the Cyber Cabin fee, maybe it was just a tech thing?

What do you think?

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
access, america, cabin, calling, calls, cruise, cyber, free, holland, internet, navagator, navigator, phone, seas, ship, skype, work