Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Adam
I find a HUGE difference in service between the ship's with automatic gratuity's and the ones that have traditional tipping.I have tried most of the major lines and have seen a significant drop in service when they change thier policy.Case in point Holland America. In my opinion the service went down the tube when they changed policy. We sailed with them before and after. I do not mind paying a little more for a premium cruise line but I expect a premium experience.HAL still considers themselves to be a premium line but no longer give the extra level of service.This is why I choose to stay with a cruise line with traditional tipping policy's. Tom
Old 04-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Traveling Lady,

MSC has a "tipping not required" policy similar to what Holland America used to have. This of course actually translates to "traditional tipping".

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Banned

Raoul
Thanks for the input. MSC is one more I can add to my list of to do's. Thanks again.
Tom
Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi Tom

We have seen Princess go down the tube too: don't think its the tipping policy, I think its the new owners..............

Dont Carnival own HAL as well?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

Meld
Yes carnival does own HAL. that was the begining of the end.Now they are working on screwing up Princess lines.I just hope they don't buy RCCL and Celebrity. If they do you can bet they will go to auto grats there as well.I don't know why they don't just raise the price of the cruise and make it all inclusive.But then I geuss you would really get lousy service.Tom
Old 04-20-2005, 05:35 AM

I am preparing to go on my first cruise and i do not like the idea of automatic or 'required" tipping. there are 5 of us going as they want a tip for each of us including my 4 year old! I hope they wipe her butt when she comes out of the bathroom for that much money. We will probably do the automatic thing with carnival but only because it is less hassle and i feel bullied into paying a set tip amount... I worked service jobs for years and i resent that I their "tip" has already been decided and I haven't even stepped foot on the ship. i know people stiff and they have to get paid..but if you give good service it balances out in the long run. I think this sets up laxness in the staff...I mean hey why bend over backwards if your going to get a tip either way. I'll get off my soap box now I just always considered a tip a reward for doing a good job. if its going to be set why don't they just charge more for the cruise..pay their workers more and drop tipping all together.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 AM

Shalby, I will be interested in reading your review from the perspective of the level of service you and your party receives. I tend to agree with you. Do write a review, even if it just on this one point.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 04-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

Shelby
I agree with you 1000%.This has been my point all along.Please give us a review when you return.Thanks for your input.
Tom
Old 04-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Tom- I will and I fully expect to get great service (my hubby guarentees me its worth every penny) I just don't like that they dictate what I consider good service and what i don't. I also do have a problem with my 5 year old being expected to leave gratutity for every eligible employee

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 04-20-2005, 04:30 PM

Before I got through reading all the posts I was just thinking th same thing. The level of service and care put into the job seems to be lagging since the automatic thing went into affect. We cruised 10 years ago and just recently began cruising again. The differnce in THEN and NOW for service was definitely differnt. The staff just did not attend to our needs as well!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, carnival, cruise, gratuities, gratuity, horrible, included, lines, ruby, saga, system