Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Tropical Storm Ana formed over night in the Atlantic. The story. We've been spared so far this year, and they have lowered the forecast predictions. It was inevitable though.

Let's all hope Ana fizzles.

Here is a link to the National Hurricane Center.

Dwayne
Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Well it didn't take long for the storms to play catch up. The second storm was named Bill shortly after today. They say that Bill has more potential for strengthening than Ana.

Dwayne
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks Dwayne. I know this is something that many of us may think about if we cruise during hurricane / tropical storm season. I'm sailing September 19 - 24, but am not too worried, since cruise lines (hopefully) will divert if there is a threat of a tropical storm / hurricane.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

And now another TS develops suddenly in the Gulf. If Claudette follows the current track it looks like those of us in north Alabama and in central/west Tennessee will be on the wet side of the storm. Just what I need, more rain. Why can't it veer west and help out parched Texas?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:51 PM

I heard there were 4 storms brewing, it happened in one day it seems.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Yes, three on the east and one in the Pacific. Funny thing is just a few days ago they revised the hurricane forecast downward, and then almost at once all these storms develop.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM

cruising during hurricane season never ever crosses my mind. I am more concerned about being on land when it hits then being on a cruise ship...
I live near the coast in North Carolina, we have been hit several times and in 99 flooded very badly. My sister is my cruising buddy and she lives in the panhandle of Florida and she has been hit really hard with Ivan.
So put us on a cruise ship during a hurricane. the cruise company will keep us out of harms way.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I live near the coast in North Carolina, we have been hit several times and in 99 flooded very badly.
I remember Floyd quite well. It caused significant flooding, and several people who I know homes were flooded. The shingles flew off the building were I live and scratched my car up pretty badly. That was nothing for me to complain about though compared to other people's losses. The police actually knocked on my door for that one saying the evacuation was mandatory. Dumb me stayed anyway. A few years earlier a tree fell on my truck during a hurricane.

I've been on cruises and re-routed for storms a couple of times. It worked out fine. I can't say the same for people who parked their cars at the Galveston cruise port last year.

What worries me is, every 10 years ending in 9 we get a bad one for some reason on the east coast. Hugo 89, Floyd 99.

Dave, it does look like you will be on the rain side if Claudette stays on that course. It seems odd these would all pop up literally within hours of each other.

Dwayne
Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by macmom111:
cruising during hurricane season never ever crosses my mind. I am more concerned about being on land when it hits then being on a cruise ship...
I live near the coast in North Carolina, we have been hit several times and in 99 flooded very badly. My sister is my cruising buddy and she lives in the panhandle of Florida and she has been hit really hard with Ivan.
So put us on a cruise ship during a hurricane. the cruise company will keep us out of harms way.
Well you are lucky I live in Puerto Rico and this happen almost every year
To be true I am not that interested in Ana, its a weak storm, at the moment of this post is almost over Puerto Rico and its raining but not more than the normal rain you will have during a rainy day in the caribbean.

But Bill is a category one Hurricane and is far from the caribbean so it have time to get a little stronger before arriving, if that the case, since the models trayectories are telling it will not hit the caribbean so maybe this time we are lucky who knows.

Hurricanes are not something you can change but mostly the dangerous ones are the cat 3 and up the other ones are just normal weak storm and we usually don't worry that much about them...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale 28 years, we went through 6. Move to Alabama, way away from the coast and have gone through 4 in 6 years. Something's wrong with this picture Macmom, I'm with you, I'd much rather be on board than on shore.

Closed Thread