Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Swtgypsy:
quote:
Originally posted by cheche:
it would be great if my work was in the travel industry. even better if i didn't have to work!!!!
I too wish my work was in the travel industry! I know it doesn't pay well and being a TA is pretty pointless nowadays but I found a college near by that has a full selection of tourism classes. So I have decided to take classes to see what is avaialable. Maybe one day I can make a living out of traveling but for the time being I will have fun learning and planning my cruises

That is great you are looking into the classes and doing it the right way. Stay away from any company that promotes the benefits of being a TA over selling travel. And stay away from those that promote making money from signing up other TA's. Being a TA is about helping people and making their dreams come true. It can be very frustrating. But for most of us we are passionate about what we do. Good Luck.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM

I don't know of anyone who would rather work than cruise, or for that matter stay at home at do work around the house. The only reason I work is to be able to afford a vacation once in a while, oh and to eat and sleep in a bed, but my vacation time is extremely important to me. I wish I had more money to go with my vacation time so I could go on more cruises I keep plodding along and telling myself, one day closer to your cruise. I, too, would love to work in the travel industry. Maybe one day I will be able to afford to do so.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Swtgypsy:
quote:
Originally posted by cheche:
it would be great if my work was in the travel industry. even better if i didn't have to work!!!!
I too wish my work was in the travel industry! I know it doesn't pay well and being a TA is pretty pointless nowadays but I found a college near by that has a full selection of tourism classes. So I have decided to take classes to see what is avaialable. Maybe one day I can make a living out of traveling but for the time being I will have fun learning and planning my cruises

wait for the
That is great you are looking into the classes and doing it the right way. Stay away from any company that promotes the benefits of being a TA over selling travel. And stay away from those that promote making money from signing up other TA's. Being a TA is about helping people and making their dreams come true. It can be very frustrating. But for most of us we are passionate about what we do. Good Luck.

Thanks for the encouragment. I did look at all those online companies and they all look like a scam so when I saw that the local college was offering classes I was happy. The job I do now helps people (I work with the homeless)and can be very rewarding but draining. It would be great to have another way of helping people. I like how you put it "Being a TA is about helping people and making their dreams come true." Now I can't wait for the classes to start in June
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I know it doesn't pay well and being a TA is pretty pointless nowadays
I'm not quite sure what this means but T/As are still needed and becoming more specialized in some cases. Although you're right about the pay in general in the industry, it lags well behind many occupations as a whole. Many do it part time and others work for one of the cruiselines right out of school. There is tremendous turnover especially with the cruiseline agents. There are some opportunities in the industry that reward agents very well. They are pretty limited and have long hours and high demands for production and service. Those who are a good fit in these niche markets can make a very good living. Cruising is one of the markets that continues to grow and prosper. Although in these niche markets, a general education in travel would be close to useless and possibly a deterant. Those with travel industry backgrounds struggle with some operations. They have their own training that focuses on the segment of the market that they specialize in and provide ongoing training through the industry affiliated sources that are targeted at their market. A strong sales background seems to be the strongest measure of long term success in such operations.

If you're serious about entering the travel industry, target what your goals are. Find out where you'd need to be to achieve those goals and work toward finding the right avenue for gaining employment in that segment. For some, earnings are the most important factor. They need to support a family. Others simply want the ability to travel more, some just like being in the industry since travel is their passion. Identify what draws you toward this occupation and and try to find a fit for your needs. It's just like trying to fit the right cruise to your client, you try to fit yourself into the industry in the best possible way to meet your own specific goals.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
quote:
I know it doesn't pay well and being a TA is pretty pointless nowadays
I'm not quite sure what this means but T/As are still needed and becoming more specialized in some cases. Although you're right about the pay in general in the industry, it lags well behind many occupations as a whole. Many do it part time and others work for one of the cruiselines right out of school. There is tremendous turnover especially with the cruiseline agents. There are some opportunities in the industry that reward agents very well. They are pretty limited and have long hours and high demands for production and service. Those who are a good fit in these niche markets can make a very good living. Cruising is one of the markets that continues to grow and prosper. Although in these niche markets, a general education in travel would be close to useless and possibly a deterant. Those with travel industry backgrounds struggle with some operations. They have their own training that focuses on the segment of the market that they specialize in and provide ongoing training through the industry affiliated sources that are targeted at their market. A strong sales background seems to be the strongest measure of long term success in such operations.

If you're serious about entering the travel industry, target what your goals are. Find out where you'd need to be to achieve those goals and work toward finding the right avenue for gaining employment in that segment. For some, earnings are the most important factor. They need to support a family. Others simply want the ability to travel more, some just like being in the industry since travel is their passion. Identify what draws you toward this occupation and and try to find a fit for your needs. It's just like trying to fit the right cruise to your client, you try to fit yourself into the industry in the best possible way to meet your own specific goals.

Cheers, Neil

First I need to apologize about the comment "TA's are pretty pointless nowadays" (insert foot)what I was trying to say is that so many people use the internet for their travel arrangements that there is not a high demand for TA's.

Second- I would like to thank you for your sound advice and you make a lot of good points that I will be taking into consideration. At this point I am just figuring out what direction I want to take this and I just want to have fun with the classes and learn as much as I can

Again, I apologize if I offended any TA's (or others) out there and thank you for your advice.
Have a great day!

Tanja
Old 05-09-2008, 02:30 PM

No offense taken. Good luck with your persuit. Don't count out an internet based agency all together unless that just doesn't appeal to you. Some of them provide the best possible earning potential because of their volume. If the phone never stops and you can book many cruises each day your earnings will reflect this volume. They also many times have different departments that offer other perks for those who are not interested in sitting in the office booking cruises for a living. There is a Singles Dept at one such agency that allows those agents to spend the vast majority of their career onboard a ship. The pay is far less but being on a cruise half the year on the company dime is a real benefit for those who aren't looking for great pay but rather more travel. They book singles groups for multiple dates and when the ships sail they're on them doing their job as one of the hosts of the group. I think this would be a blast. Two problems for me, I'm married and I couldn't make a living at what these agents make.

With all the options available in the industry, that's why I recommended finding what you want from the occupation in the industry and finding the right fit.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-11-2008, 01:31 PM

I always LOVE walking into a terminal as the departing passengers are leaving. They're always so bummed to be leaving...and I'm just getting started!!! Always have a big smile!!

Of course in 4-8 days when I'M leaving, it's no fun at all.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Steve Rocky Mount:
I always LOVE walking into a terminal as the departing passengers are leaving. They're always so bummed to be leaving...and I'm just getting started!!! Always have a big smile!!
I was one of those disembarking pax today. And, as we were in the last group off the ship, we actually did see some VIPs boarding as we were approaching the gangway to exit.

At least in three months, it will once again be my turn to embark.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 PM

I have a month... and its killing me.. although I am in the weird stage of waiting where time seems to be flying by... BUt I'm afraid that situation is about to change now...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread