Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

I think we've all seen it - the demanding passengers who suddenly are absent from the dining room on the last night of the cruise when tip time comes. And of course they have cancelled the auto-tip charges too. It makes me so angry - and since many are Americans it makes me feel a little embarrassed too. I have seen whole tables not show up, yet they were there the other 6 nights keeping the dining room staff hopping.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Cruiselines should just add it to your account with no way of removing the auto-tip or add it directly to the cruise fare.
It would certainly curb the "tip dodgers"
I do not object to that ides at least they will get their fare share.
We always leave a bit extra for the cabin stewards ....we are not messy or demanding people but they do work hard at keeping your room tidy.
People think if they eat in the buffet they don't need to tip, I wonder who they think clears the tables & puts out the food??
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-16-2006, 07:46 PM

Cruise Fanatic, You forgot the me,me,me chair savers

You are so right. If you think about it the buffet tips are only $1 a day. Sometimes you will find someone that sees you come in and they help you get a cleared table, and if you are thankful to them and ask their name etc. They will notice you from then on and help you. They have even gotten my drinks. I actually look for them in the buffet and ask where their section is. I always track these people down and show my appreciation, and CF is right you will be amazed at how thankful they are and a on their face. For 2 we usually give them $15-$20 when we have the same person looking out for us all week.

I don't believe in stiffing the crew. My comment in a previous post about not worrying about the labor costs on vacation, was just that, I leave on the recommended for general service and then tip above and don't fret about it. I just tip my dining room wait staff and steward with cash the last day because that is how I like to do it.

I do the same as Dave, I usually sit at the bar and get to know the bartenders, and most times there are a few special ones that take exceptional care of me, and I tip them some extra too Last year my bartender happened to be the Head Bartender told me was not neccesary, I convinced him it was to me. The man had greeted me by name all week, made banana daiquris from fresh bananas I brought from cabin the last day for myself and new friends..my charge for the pitcher..one shot of the Captain, but he put 4 in it. Not to mention he had slipped a an extra beer in my bucket a few times during the week, and we had some wonderful conversations.

"Ships life is hard" Quoted by a crew member
Old 09-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Sorry to double post, but had not seen Dave's post about demanding people in the Dining Room.

Speaking of the me,me,me. Once had a table of 8, all couples and strangers. The one younger couple were hooney-mooners. The bride was impossible to please. She sent everything back at least once, and would order stuff not on the menu, and then complain the steak was not cooked right. She ruined our dinner every night by working and stressing the waiter and complaining to the table he was not getting a good tip as he was trying to please her.

Well magically, they did not show up the last night. This was Sensation 96 before auto tips. We all had our tips sealed in envelopes, but the other 2 couples and us decided to put some extra together to make up for it. The waiter was so funny and happy, and I think he was happiest the most she was not there
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 AM

My wife and I worked my way through college waiting tables. We are not the best of all tippers, but we do leave generous tips when appropriately earned. On our three cruises, the wait staff have been remarkable. We have left a little extra for them, beyond the suggested amount.

Equally, I would not be afraid to reduce the tip amount if it was not merited, but have never had that experience.

I have given the extra envelope to only one cabin steward, who made a rough seas crossing of the Gulf of Mexico so much less difficult. He called me by name every morning and evening. He always had a smile. He earned everything that he is paid, and my eternal appreciation for how he treated my queezy wife.

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, I'd not recommend the Norwegian Jewel, many of my fellow passengers agreed with me that it was like spending a fortnight as a hostage in an airport departure lounge.
Andrew,

I agree. I was BORED on our sea days. I have been on 3 NCL cruises prior to the Jewel and enjoyed them much more.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM

So can anyone verify that any "extra" tips I give (say to buffet staff or drink waiter) has to go into the pool to be divided up? I tip on service rendered and have been doing the auto-tip and giving exra to those that deserved it. but that is kind of pointless if my extra tip is not fully going to the person I rewarded by giving it to.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-19-2006, 02:46 PM

I would like to know the same thing. I never thought that the little extra cash I gave would end up in a pool. If I think my steward or waiter is going above and beyond I want to reward them. I have heard of people saying they were less than satisfied with their room steward or whatever. Although, there are the people who do not want to tip at all so it isn't fair that someone is just saying they weren't satified to not have to tip. I guess this will be one of those things that will always be up for debate!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
So can anyone verify that any "extra" tips I give (say to buffet staff or drink waiter) has to go into the pool to be divided up?
Ask the Purser once onboard what the practice is on that cruiseline.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 PM

LHT28, Has a good point to ask the Info Desk.

The confusion seems to be comming from the word "pooled".

The general tips that are "auto gratuities" for the Buffet are pooled and divided among the service workers.

To my knowledge, if someone does extra for you the tip is theirs as they earned it. They usually put it in their pocket. I have never heard of them turning it in to anyone, would be rediculous.

Closed Thread

Tags
auto, buffet, carnival, celebrity, cruise, cruises, gratuity, imagination, kopects, liberty, ncl, ships, tip, tipping, wages