Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bublik:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Note that if your kids are young and use camp carnival, the camp carnival staff does not get a cut of the auto tips. We normally give them something if our kids spend a lot of time at camp carnival.
I think it should all go into a day camp pool. Because this is not a 1 on 1 ratio.

Speaking of camps... How much camp staff should be tipped? Should you tip each one of them separately or should you let them share it? Also we are all so used to tipping our waiters in the restaurant or a bartender in a bar, but we never tip our day care providers. So why is it different on a cruise ship?

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM

From my conversations with crew they get half a day off every week and one day every other week.

The Lido and Disco head bartenders were on the conch train with us on Key West. They were both off for their normal shifts and were happy about it. They both had to work later that day.

There is a big difference in the wages they make. The bartenders make way more than most, the stewards are next in line and then dining room service.

I have a strong feeling the workers who are picking up and washing up are making far less.

But that really has nothing to do with auto-tipping for the buffet. If someone looks after me I give them extra, this time no one did, or got my drink or offered to. I left the tip on because they did put food on my plate. Usually someone makes friendly and goes beyond and we tip them extra at the buffet.

I could not do the job they do. Thanklessly clearing tables, and people being rude treating them like servants. I go out of my way to thank everyone that puts food on my plate. They respond pretty well and smile and say, you are welcome.

It's like they are so use to being treated rudely when someone is nice and appreciative it gets their attention.

One would have no idea how hard these people work. And the crap they deal with from rude inconsiderate people.

"I have 5 omelete orders because my friends and family are too lazy to wait in line, so I will hold the whole line up from everyone else that did wait" forgot "extra bacon". No please or thank you, or sorry to everyone else.

I say leave the Tips On!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 AM

Island Cruz,
How right you are. Back in 84 I was on the Alexandre Pushkin, all the crew were Russian, remember this was before the fall of communism.
We had two charming and beautiful waitresses Anna and Vika I even remember their names. These two girls were very slight in stature but they used to bring the meals on trays stacked so high I thought there legs would buckle under them. Anyway, all through that voyage a couple of elderly women on the table opposite to us did nothing but complain at every meal, making these two girls run after them continuously. When it came to the last evening we were given an envelope, I obviously tipped them, so well in fact that regardless of rules and regulations they both gave my wife and I big hugs and kisses.(the tip was worth it just for that) The two old fogies on the other table couldn't even put anything in their envelope, in fact one said to my wife your not giving anything to those two are you. I won't repeat what my wife said but it wasn't nice.
Yes I agree include the tips in the cost of the cruise.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Discussions of tipping always brings out the many different opinions that people have. I think of tips as a gratuity given to the people who have served me and I no longer give thought to a gift I have given, after it is given, I don't want to control it or have strings attached.

I've never really considered tipping in the buffet, because I've always thought the people working in the buffets also work in the dining room as well. Auto tips are dispersed to all the servers, no matter where they are currently stationed.

What I find interesting is that people actually prefer a buffet meal to a served meal. That concept is so foreign to me. We cruise because we loved to be pampered and served, self service is something we avoid when we cruise.

However, I'm married to a man who insists on making the bed in the morning in hotels and cruise ships. I'll bet our cabin stewards absolutely love him!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Happy K's:
What I find interesting is that people actually prefer a buffet meal to a served meal. That concept is so foreign to me. We cruise because we loved to be pampered and served, self service is something we avoid when we cruise.
I agree but it could be people go to the buffet because that is what they are use to "fast food"
they don't want to spend the time at dinner to enjoy the food etc...
I love to be served
We do the buffet if we don't feel very hungry that way we can just choose a little bit.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-20-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Everyone cruises for different reasons. I cruise because my cell phone does not work at sea and my clients cannot reach me. Last year in May we went on a land vacation to Argentina. I was still returning call on all kinds of urgent matters. At sea my cell phone does not work. Period. Canít reach me!

I eat out all of the time, so having someone wait on me is really a no big deal. We eat at the buffet about 50% of the time. Why? I donít have to dress up. On several occasions I could not find anything on the menu that I liked. Also we prefer to avoid the lobster night, when everyone just has to have that frozen nasty lobster they serve and the dining room gets all crowded. Only because you like to be waited on, it does not mean that everyone else does.

Now, we still tip what NCL suggests. However, as I indicated previously, I believe that if they are allocating tips in any way that is not what we (customers) expect, it is NCLís responsibility to disclose it to us.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ptur:
Back in 84 I was on the Alexandr Pushkin, all the crew were Russian, remember this was before the fall of communism.
We had two charming and beautiful waitresses Anna and Vika I even remember their names. These two girls were very slight in stature but they used to bring the meals on trays stacked so high I thought there legs would buckle under them.
Oh, good old daysÖ

Not sure how much most of you know about Soviet Union. Back in those days, doctorís salary was 120 rubles. Each ruble was equivalent to one dollar. Rent was 10 rubles a month, bread was 22 kopects (same as cents), and a kilo of meat (about two pounds) was 2 rubles 20 kopects. Anyway, those girls in those days were super rich according to Soviet standards.

And how do I know all of that? Back in 1984 I was 10 years old girl going to school in Soviet Russia and studying Pushkin.

Closed Thread

Tags
auto, buffet, carnival, celebrity, cruise, cruises, gratuity, imagination, kopects, liberty, ncl, ships, tip, tipping, wages