Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM

we're booked on a cruise from Satiago to Buenos Aires and I heard the waters are extremely rough....any information?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Waters can get pretty rough going around Cape Horn in the Drake Passage. I didn't have any problem, but everyone's sensitivity to motion is different.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM

The Dream is an older ship that has been refurbished. I was on it last November and really loved it. Being a smaller ship you will feel the motion a bit more than on the newer ships that are much larger and have stabilizers. If you get some wrist bands and learn how to wear them properly they will prevent any sea sickness. You will enjoy this South American itemerary and the wonderful ship. You will have a great Captain, they call him McDreamy. When you meet him you will understand why...he is handsome and has a very warm charm.
Enjoy your cruise and do not worry about a thing...just be prepared. I always wear my wrist bands and the really do work !!!
TexasTraveler 1953
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 PM

thanks.... ///////////////we;re actually on the Silversea Seawind
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 PM

was the rest of the cruise fairly smooth besides the horn?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 PM

fotofan, we are doing a 16 day South America/Antarctic cruise on the Star Princess beginning Feb. 19. I have done a lot of reading and reports of others who have cruised, and it is hit or miss whether it will be rough. I know that Dec. thru early March is best, but some have still hit very rough seas and all have great respect for the Drake! You did not say (or I missed it) what month you are cruising. I am going, hoping for the best, with every possible seasick remedy in my arsenal. I usually do fine with my electronic wrist relief band, but for this cruise I also purchased MotionEaze which is a natural remedy you put behind the ears (a lot of people swear by it and you can get it at Walmart). I am also taking ginger tablets and generic dramamine along.

Ellie
Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 PM

We did this trip last February on Infinity, a Celebrity ship and encountered 35 foot seas as we neared the Str. of Magellan.

Our lower deck cabin was in the centre of the ship so we weren't at all bothered; though we were wearing patches behind our ears.

Table mates with a balcony on the 6th deck had waves wash onto their balcony and the crew was kept busy cleaning broken glass in cabins.

Several passengers fell in the dining room and were badly cut when they fell on shattered glasses. It was a brief period of extremely high seas for those in the second sitting only heard of the dining problems. Seas had calmed and no evidence of the litter on the floors remained.

Crew said it was the roughest passage in years.

I'd still do it all again if budget permitted. It was great to visit the various ports of call, none of which were high on our must see destinations, but great to visit and tour on a ship land tour for a day.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 PM

thank you for your reply...we're going in December on the Silversea...and pray it won't be too bad...I'll have all possible gadgets...including patch.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fotofan:
we're booked on a cruise from Satiago to Buenos Aires and I heard the waters are extremely rough....any information?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fotofan:
What date is your departure from Santiago? We leave on 3/18

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, cabin, canada, carnival, cruise, dream, princess, rough, star, water, waters