Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Does anyone know the percentage of cruisers who get seasick? What is it that the cruiselines administer to those who experience seasickness?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Does anyone know the percentage of cruisers who get seasick? What is it that the cruiselines administer to those who experience seasickness?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM

No idea on the percentage; I'm sure it's about the same as the percentage of the general population that is subject to motion sickness in cars and other vehicles. The cruise lines usually provide Bonine, a non-drowsy formula of a dramamine-like drug (I forget the name of it). It works great for many people, including myself, but others find relief from pressure wristbands, ginger capsules or a prescription patch.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 PM

If you don't want to be taking what the cruiselines administer to those who are seasick, here are some other tips that you might find useful:

• Lying down might help you feel better temporarily but it does not help you adapt to the motion of the ship. So, try to keep moving around. The more you move around, the sooner you become accustomed to the motion of the ship.
  • Avoid doing anything that requires close visual focus, such as reading. They make symptoms worse.
  • If you are near a window try to keep your focus on the horizon.
  • You might feel nauseated but when that passes try not to remain hungry. It doesn't help. Eat ginger snaps, saltine crackers, or toast and drink ginger tea or ginger ale.
  • Ginger tablets or capsules also help and so do ginger candies.
  • And yes, those acupressure wrist bands do work. You can try getting them at a nautical store, a naturopathic health store, or a pharmacy.[/list]
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Another tip, if you know there will be rough seas take something before you sail. Once you become sick nothing seems to help much.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 AM

I get motion sickness when I'm on a roller coaster, but never get sea sickness on a cruise. If you're really worried, make sure the ship you go on has stabilizers. Most of the newer larger ships have them.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Taylor:
I get motion sickness when I'm on a roller coaster, but never get sea sickness on a cruise. If you're really worried, make sure the ship you go on has stabilizers. Most of the newer larger ships have them.

Ships have had stabilizers for quite some time - but often they are NOT deployed for various and sundry reasons.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 AM

Bonine (Meclazine) in the non-drowsy is great with no side effects. Ginger capsules are the safest all natural way to go(ginger has been used for centuries)...get them in your local health food store or Wal-Mart might even have it. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by si si:

Children between 2 and 12 are more frequently seasick, starting from 50 arise them ever more rarely. 15% of the adults become never, 10% always, 75% occasionally (e.g. at the beginning of the yourney or in heavy weather) seasick.

Closed Thread

Tags
children, cruise, cruisers, cruises, motion, people, percent, percentage, poeple, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, sickness, taking