Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM

My friends and I are looking to book another cruise for August 2009. Price is a definite concern, so I have been trying to compare the costs of flying to different ports. Unfortunately, there are not yet airfare prices available for 8/09. Iíve compared prices based on August í08, but since that is only a few weeks away Iím not sure how accurate of a comparison it is.

Can anyone provide someone insight on the relative cost of flying to Tampa, Miami, Canaveral and Lauderdale? We will be leaving from NY (JFK), but the cost differences between those ports must be similar when leaving from other locations.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Try http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego/calend...52D17353C6EF5A7B2CA1

It gives you some idea as to the cheapest days etc...but airfare is not usually posted till 320 days out & by next year it could all change.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Some airlines book at 330 days out . . .but then, Southwest only goes 5 months out. For our cruise in Nov 09, I've calendared the 330 days so I can book as soon as possible. My husband is freaking out - he's concerned that by booking so early, we might lose everything when the airline goes under. It's certainly a conumdrum. I usually just spend my time checking the airlines' websites until I finally get one that is open to my time..... I've decided that I'm not going to worry about getting to the port until I'm forced to worry about it.... If nothing else, there's always the Greyhound!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My husband is freaking out - he's concerned that by booking so early, we might lose everything when the airline goes under.
If you purchase your travel insurance when you book your cruise and flights, it'll cover if the airline or cruiseline should fail. Haven't had many cruiselines go under lately but it has happened. With the airlines it's a major concern, several have gone under and I expect that trend will continue. Even if they're forced into bankrupcy, it can affect your flight arrangments. Another good reason to insure trips.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I've been trying to figure out the insurance thing. I do want to purchase insurance when I finally get my airfare - but haven't seen at any of the websites I've been to where I can combine the separate airefare / cruisefare; everyone seems to what "total package"... Right now I figure I'll just worry about it in November when I'm closer to having to look at airfare. I'll have my hotel reservation by that time also. My husband suggested we just bite the bullet and let the cruiseline take care of our flights; I'm not crazy about that as we wouldn't have any control over times, airlines, layovers, etc - and we wouldn't know what we would have until 30 days before we leave... That's just too scary for me.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM

susanmaz, I wouldn't and don't book cruiseline air for the reasons you mentioned and more. Just find your flights, the cruise and then visit insuremytrip.com and compare the insurance coverages available. With most, you just need your total vacation amount, ages and to choose a policy. It'll give you rate and coverage comparisons. Be careful of the companies that give you only so many days after you book your flight or cruise and no longer cover you for pre-existing conditions. Read the fine print and be sure you have what you want before buying a policy.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info Neil. I've bookmarked this information so I don't have to searching in December. This is one reason I love this site - everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable and willing to share their know-how...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 AM

If you book your cruise with cruise air included, you'll at least get an idea of what sort of price you're looking at. Then you can shop for air afterwards and you can cancel the cruise portion of your trip with NO penalty if you do that before final payment.

So if all other things are equal on these two cruises for you, check to see which one has the cheaper air fare, and go from there.

Kim
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
and you can cancel the cruise portion of your trip
I assume you meant the AIR portion of your trip. You don't want to cancel the cruise portion!

Sandy
Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Sorry Sandy! Yes I meant cancel the AIR portion.

My bad...

Kim

Closed Thread