Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:48 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but I have never been on a cruise before (or anywhere outside of U.S./Canada for that matter) so bear with me.

I'm going on the Sun Princess Southern Carib. Medley and I'm thinking of buying a digital camera specifically for this trip. I hear all the time that you should leave valuables on the boat when doing the shore excursions. I was just wondering, will I be warned to leave my camera on the boat when I'm down there? I don't really have any idea what the crime is like down there, and I'd hate to go out and buy a camera only to not really put it to use. If someone with cruising/travelling experience could help clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

FYI-My Dad has a camera that he'll be bringing, but I was planning to get one of my own so that we can bring home a better variety of photos.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 AM

hello,

bring a camara!! you will have nothing to worry about. just be smart about it. use the wrist strap for security. be sure to get a 512mb card or larger and an extra battery! my wife just bought a new kodak digital camera just to have with her in her purse. it is really thin and compact and takes awesome pictures!

as far as the valuables, be smart about it. don't flash your your stuff! just like anywhere else in the world these places thrive on the tourist industry.

hope this helps you. enjoy your cruise!

regards,

ezemoney

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-01-2006, 06:53 AM

Sean,
Definitely take your camera with you on shore excursions. As ezemoney has shared, so many of the new digitals are small enough to fit in your pocket. If you are beaching it, just don't leave your valuables on the beach unattended.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-01-2006, 06:55 AM

Hi Sean,

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I also am careful, but have had no problems on the excursions. I would use common sense and not leave it in view to tempt someone.

I know how you feel to a degree, sometimes I can't snorkel in peace thinking and watching my stuff. If you are going to take something expensive I reccomend you get a locker and have them sign something that says what is in there.

I have had stuff stolen at my workplace, so is always a concern. I say meet some couple you feel comfortable with and take turns watching is what I do. They will appreciate it as much as you do. When I ask them to watch my stuff and I will watch yours..I always get a

But, I don't take too expensive stuff. I have even had a beer sent to me the next day on lido by them across from the other side waving at me and thanking me

I say be careful. Tempatation is all it takes for theives no matter where you are.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 AM

A CRUISE WITHOUT A CAMERA - I DON'T THINK SO -
I love my camera - It's a small Sony 7.2 - It has been on the last seven cruises with me. I take about five hundred pictures a cruise. I would never think of leaving home (ship) without it. With always having my camera with me - Yes, I will leave it on the beach - under my towel - during the time I'm in the water. Nothing has every happened to it.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
We also take our very small digital Casio camera with us everywhere we go. It fits nicely in a pocket or around my neck. On our last cruise I bought a waterproof camera pouch enabling me to take it snorkeling. I was able to take a lot of underwater photos and video clips. Take lots of photos on your first cruise--you won't be sorry!

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your advice, I'll for sure get a camera then. I noticed that Pentax makes one that is water-proof (Optio W20), I'll probably get that one so I can take it pretty much anywhere.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
We also take our very small digital Casio camera with us everywhere we go. It fits nicely in a pocket or around my neck. On our last cruise I bought a waterproof camera pouch enabling me to take it snorkeling. I was able to take a lot of underwater photos and video clips. Take lots of photos on your first cruise--you won't be sorry!
Where did you buy this waterproof camera pouch? Someone said to go to ascuba dive place. Is this where you got yours? ANd do they have different sizes for different models of digital cameras? If you have a website would you please post it for me. Thank you so much for any help you can give.
Cheers!
Kim
Old 10-06-2006, 08:47 PM
The bag I bought was about $30. It's good for about 15 ft, which is fine for snorkeling.

Waterproof Store

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
I usually have about $2,000 worth of camera gear with me on all the excursions and I have never had a problem.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......

Closed Thread

Tags
camera, cameras, casio, cruise, digital, excursions, expensive, miami, pocket, pouch, put, shore, shores, stuff, waterproof