Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 AM

I called a cruise TA and ask if I can get an estimate to go on a cruise, since my DH and I have about $1000 saved up. She told me it would cost about $1200 pp. Yikes! I dont remember if that includes airfare, but that just for the cruise itself. Thats not including port, ins, etc. Ive been looking online and seen roughly $500 pp, but she stated thats the lowest price so you would call. I mentioned on going to a cruise this time next year and she suggested to call in the summer b/c they didnt have rates for next year. So you figure it would be roughly $2500 just for myself and DH. Are we looking at about $5000 including excurions and such? Wow!! Looks like we have a lot of saving up to do.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 AM

I called a cruise TA and ask if I can get an estimate to go on a cruise, since my DH and I have about $1000 saved up. She told me it would cost about $1200 pp. Yikes! I dont remember if that includes airfare, but that just for the cruise itself. Thats not including port, ins, etc. Ive been looking online and seen roughly $500 pp, but she stated thats the lowest price so you would call. I mentioned on going to a cruise this time next year and she suggested to call in the summer b/c they didnt have rates for next year. So you figure it would be roughly $2500 just for myself and DH. Are we looking at about $5000 including excurions and such? Wow!! Looks like we have a lot of saving up to do.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:13 AM

Hi There,
I checked the Carnival website and right now they are having a sale on. "Enjoy a 4,5, or 7 day "Fun Ship" Caribbean cruise from Miami including air from only $479". The $479 price (for a 4-day cruise flying from Atlanta) is for a category 1A (which is the lowest inside cabin--bunk beds I think--and there are very few available of these on each ship), government taxes and port charges are extra. Normally if you ask for a quote, they will quote a category 4A inside cabin (no windows).

For this special, you have to fly from certain cities. They are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Celveland, Detroit, Hartford, Indianapolis, Neward, New York and Philadelphia. You have to call Carnival direct to get this deal. Call 1-800-819-3902.

On our first cruise, it cost us approx. $1,500 per person. This included the cost of the cruise, airfare, shore excurions (we only went on one snorkelling tour in Cozumel), tipping, drinks, wine, photos and some art we bought at the on-board art auction).

Aside from the cost of the cruise, you will also have to pay gratuities, which are $9.50-$9.75 per person per day. For a drink in a souvenir glass it is $6, and a bucket of beer (on the Lido deck) is $10-$12 for 4. Shore excursions can range anywhere from $32/pp to $115/pp depending on the excursion.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 PM

I have cruised 10 times in the past 4 years and have never once came close to paying 1000 pp for a 7 night cruise. Actually, the only time I paid over 500 pp was for a cruise to Alaska on Royal Carribean but still that was only 700pp for an outside cabin. Check out vacationstogo.com and you'll see they have great rates. I always book directly with the cruise line which I am convinced saves me money. Carnival usually has decent prices. You can almost always count on getting a good deal on NCL's Norway. Seven nights for under 300 including port charges. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:06 PM

There are LOTS AND LOTS of cruises to go on for less than that. Check a good site that can sort by Price, Like VacationOutlet.com, Orbitz, etc. I have seen Costa cruises w/a balcony for $399pp and LESS!! The key is to look at the dates (Easter, summer, and the winter holidays are always higher). But also look at Ships like NCL Norway, or the smaller Carnival ships. Another shocking one is Celebrity, they have some good rates, but admittedly, not less than $1000 for two. Be open to WHERE you cruise and you are set. Also, look at Ports Like Carnival Victory out of Norfolk, Virginia, Or the Pride out of NYC, and there are sailings from Philly and Baltimore which could save you on airfare. Also, look at http://www.spiritairlinescruises.com/ GREAT RATES AND CHEAP AIR FROM MAJOR CITIES
Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM

The prices quoted in ads and by such agencies mentioned above are often the cruise fare only, and most certainly do not include drinks onboard, shore excursions, and other extras that one pays for on a cruise. Taxes and port charges, as one previous poster noted, are often additional - and are not options - to the quoted cruise fare. The first person to pose this question was closer to the correct amount that one actually pays when all is said and done.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:40 AM

Respectfully have to disagree with Karen Knowlton, at least in part. We have just booked a cruise on Millenium in a cat 2c (veranda) cabin. With taxes and port fees we are paying $1562 total for the cabin ($781/pp). Adding in the recommended gratuities ($10/pd/pp x 2) and another $50/pd for drinks and incidentals this will cost us about $2100 for the cruise. (The $50/pd for drinks and incidentals is probably high for us, average for some and low for others.) But this is for a veranda cabin. If I were to get the low inside cabin, it would cost about $1600 for the cruise.

I can find even cheaper 7 day cruises on other lines (NCL, Carnival, etc.). In fact know of a SS Norway 7 day cruise I can get for $960/two INCLUDING, port fees, taxes, gratuities and my drink/incidental fee listed above.

The point here is one can find a 7 day cruise and not spend $2500 for the week for a couple.

Of course the rejoinder here is this is cruise only and does not include airfare. (Living in Florida, airfare is not normally a concern of ours.

DocJohn
Old 02-27-2003, 01:22 PM

Just checked out some sailings for the Norwegian Norway and, believe me, they are giving that cruise away. For a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise, you can get it as cheap as US$282 per person and that includes port charges! This, of course, is for an inside cabin, but still, this is an excellent rate!

I've also seen some Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas sailings for $399, but not as low as the Norway.

If ever there was a time to cruise, now is the time. Cruises are dirt cheap.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:55 PM

Quote:

"Just checked out some sailings for the Norwegian Norway and, believe me, they are giving that cruise away. For a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise, you can get it as cheap as US$282 per person and that includes port charges! This, of course, is for an inside cabin, but still, this is an excellent rate!"

Do some serious research before booking a cruise on the Norway! It seems there can be a wide variety of cabins even within the same category. The cheapest cabin category "P" includes some cabins of 66 square feet.

I'm not saying don't consider this ship (I'm sailing it this December) because she's pretty special in her own way. (Classic ocean liner, pretty much the only one of her kind).

Just make sure you book a specific cabin and know what's it's like.

Dan
Old 03-27-2003, 02:28 AM

Hi everybody,

I have to agree with Dan. Usually, I don't see any problems booking the cheapest cabins available (as long as you like inside cabins, of coruse), but on the "Norway", it's different. While I wouldn't say that booking a specific cabin is essential, I do recommend skipping the the two "upper berth" categories. Those cabins can be pretty large (I had one next to my Cat. F a couple of years ago which was larger than my own cabin) but they can also be tiny.

Otherwise I warmly recommend the "Norway" if you know what to expect. She's different, but I think she's a great ship.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
excursion, orbitz, reviews, shore