Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 08:09 AM

I have booked my Carnival Cruise to Hawaii April of 2003. I have read such awful things about Carnival and Norwegian and this itenarary. The only ship that has rave reviews is the Celebrity Infinity, but I cant afford the Celebrity, any way, should Hawaii even be seen by going on a ship? If so what ship? RCCL? What should I do?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:09 AM

I have booked my Carnival Cruise to Hawaii April of 2003. I have read such awful things about Carnival and Norwegian and this itenarary. The only ship that has rave reviews is the Celebrity Infinity, but I cant afford the Celebrity, any way, should Hawaii even be seen by going on a ship? If so what ship? RCCL? What should I do?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 AM

First of all, bear in mind that some people who write cruise reviews have an axe to grind. Your cruise experience will be determined by your own attitude (positive helps in all cases) and by your interests and lifestyle, as each cruise line - and even each ship - is different, with appeal to different people. Personally, I have enjoyed my Carnival cruises, and my Norwegian one as well. I have also cruised on Holland America, have toured RCCL and Princess ships, and have liked them all. My personal favorite style of cruising is totally different from all of them, but I have found a lot to like on each ship.

Second, there are advantages to seeing Hawaii on a cruise, namely that you get to visit each of the major islands and sample what each has to offer without unpacking and repacking, and spending time at a bunch of different airports. Remember that your time on each island will be limited, and - as in the Caribbean - you will get a taste of each island, but not enjoy the whole meal (as it were.) If the purpose of your booking this cruise was to combine a cruise and Hawaii vacation, then it should go fine. If the purpose was to see Hawaii, you would probably be better off with a land-based Hawaii vacation (air/hotel/rental cars.)

Karen
Old 10-17-2002, 08:54 AM

I agree with Karen. Our first cruise in Hawaii was on the old America Hawaii Cruises that was/is the only line that could cruise totally within the islands, so for 1 week, we were at each island from 7 AM to 8-10 PM. It was great, and we saw a lot. The same can't be said for the new cruises, which either sail to/from Hawaii, or as NCL does, go to Fanning Island (many pros and cons on that)but again, 3 days of sailing. I've just booked our 4th trip to Hawaii for April, and it is very expensive. We had 2 frequent flier tickets that covers the air, but hotels and inter island flights really add up. Food is very expensive. Big Mac meal is almost $10, and that was 3 years ago. Cereal is $7 box if you were thinking of doing breakfast in room. There's pros and cons in both. When you say you can't do Celebrity, if you put everything down, it isn't that much more. Just don't jump into anything because of a cheaper price, as "you get what you pay for" holds true pretty much. Have you checked Princess out? Good luck! Not an easy decision to make, but just a beautiful area to see. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM

I have cruised Hawaii by ship and I have stayed on land there. If you have never been to Hawaii going by ship is a great way to go. Each island has something a little different about it. By ship you get to see what some of the differences are and you can decide if you ever want to go back there again. Another plus for cruising is if your ship sails by the volcano at night it is a sight you will never forget if the volcano is flowing.

I am not a big fan of Hawaii but the view of the volcano flowing lava at night is one that will never leave me.

As far as which cruise line to use. Keep an open mind and experience the cruise for yourself and you can have a great time on any line. Reviews are nice in general but do not take anyones word for gospel about a cruise. After all you really do not know the people writing the review and it is their personal opinion.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Banned

When on Oahu be sure to shop at an ABC Store. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 03:47 PM

going to Hawaii in April is fine, The spirit sails from Ensenada in Mexico.You will fly into San Diego and then Across the border (tijuana). That alone is worth it.

Summary: 5 days at sea. Great views of nothing but water which is nice specially if you book a balcony cabin.Lots of old people with a lot of money. Experienced cruisers which means they have the money and he time, they have been everywhere and they will brag about it. Hawaii is very nice but you'll be tired as there are many islands to see so it means get up very early and see vulcanos. I am not sure if the 5 hour trip to and from LA is worth it....

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, celebrity, cost, cruise, cruises, cruising, hawai, hawaii, hawaiian, it, money, princess, taking, visiting, worth