Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2003, 07:10 PM

I sailed on the Century (Celebrity Cruises) last week, out of Fort Lauderdale. The third day I had a bout of diarheah (?) and went to the ships medical center for a pill - something I have done on other cruises. The doctor made me sign a voluntary isolation form, telling me my wife and I had to stay in our room isolated, for three days. I assume this was to prevent the spread of Norwalk Virus. I had only one sympton - the diarheah - no nausea or fever. The alternative to agreement was to be put off the ship. We were to have all our meals in the room etc. My wife was allowed into town - Grand Cayman - the second day, and I was "released" on the third day for a day-long excursion. They refused to discuss compensation, etc, and cited Coast Guard and company policies - but would noy show us copies of these policies - for restricting our freedom. I was sick for perhaps four hours - there was no recurrence of my GI problem. The doctor came to the room every morning to check me.
I was not chared for any medical services. I feel ithe incident ruined our holiday.

Has anyone else had this experience? Did you get any refund or compensation? Any advice?

Jack J Switzer - disgruntled and angry..p

jack j switzerA
Old 02-09-2003, 07:10 PM

I sailed on the Century (Celebrity Cruises) last week, out of Fort Lauderdale. The third day I had a bout of diarheah (?) and went to the ships medical center for a pill - something I have done on other cruises. The doctor made me sign a voluntary isolation form, telling me my wife and I had to stay in our room isolated, for three days. I assume this was to prevent the spread of Norwalk Virus. I had only one sympton - the diarheah - no nausea or fever. The alternative to agreement was to be put off the ship. We were to have all our meals in the room etc. My wife was allowed into town - Grand Cayman - the second day, and I was "released" on the third day for a day-long excursion. They refused to discuss compensation, etc, and cited Coast Guard and company policies - but would noy show us copies of these policies - for restricting our freedom. I was sick for perhaps four hours - there was no recurrence of my GI problem. The doctor came to the room every morning to check me.
I was not chared for any medical services. I feel ithe incident ruined our holiday.

Has anyone else had this experience? Did you get any refund or compensation? Any advice?

Jack J Switzer - disgruntled and angry..p

jack j switzerA
Old 02-10-2003, 06:17 AM

Being ill on a cruise is something I would not wish on anybody, and to be isolated in your cabin must have been difficult for you to endure even though room service on Celebrity is usually great. The cruise line obviously did not want to risk any spread of possible infection similar to that which is occuring on the Princess ship that departed from California recently and is returning (or has returned) to port with 300 people aboard who are sick.
I gathered from your post that you were confined for two days in your cabin and for the third, you were restricted when not ashore. It's a pity that in questionable situations like yours, there was not some kind of test available that could have determined whether or not you were infectious.
With respect to compensation, did you hear of others who were suffering from the same ailment? If there were, then I would certainly press the issue with the cruise line. If you were the only one, then I do not think you will receive anything other than possibly, some type of credit.
Hope you are feeling ok now and that you will cruise again. Bobby

[This message was edited by Bobby on February 10, 2003 at 06:40 AM.]
Old 12-06-2003, 04:24 AM

Jack,
My newlywed wife and I had a similar experience on a Holland America Cruise, I contracted food poisoning from what they were serving on board (and I'm certain of this...I didn't eat ANYTHING off the ship that day). The doctors on board proceeded to misdiagnose me with the Norwalk Virus and gave me the option of being quarantined on the boat for 2 days or getting kicked off. That choice was a no-brainer. We were reimbursed for the 2 days we missed, and all hotels, food, taxis and for our flight back home.
My honeymoon was certainly ruined, and I'll never cruise Holland America again as long as I live, but at least we were reimbursed. My advice to you would be to contact thier Customer Relations Representative and threaten legal action. What they did to you wasn't right and I'm sure you'd have a strong case in court.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cayman, comp, compensation, cruise, cruisers, doctor, grand, isolation, physicians, reviews, room, salary, ship, ships, spouse