Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   flight and embarkation (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/85-flight-embarkation.html)

attard 04-01-2009 06:44 AM

Hi there, has anyone out there ever had a problem with arriving at airport and then embarking on their cruise on the same day? i'm getting a bit nervous. we arrive at gatwick 11am and have to go to embark NCL jewel at dover by 2pm. ship sails at 4pm. (we've booked NCL transfers). hope they wait if there is a delay. also has anyone ever missed the embarkation and went to next port? that's what we have to do if we are late. everything is booked and paid for. too late to change flights.

Sandy 04-01-2009 08:06 AM

Hi attard and welcome to Cruise Chat.

Sorry to say this, but I think you're cutting it way too close, particularly with an international flight that you did not book through the cruise line. You won't even get out of Gatwick until 12:30, between going through Passport Control, claiming your luggage, etc. If there is any kind of delay with your flight, you're in trouble.

You said you purchased NCL's transfers. Are you within the limits of the last arrival time?

My first choice for a 2pm deadline would have been to arrive the day before and spend the night in Dover. If that's impossible, I suggest you get travel insurance that includes provisions for missing the ship. This will help pay to get you to the first port of call to meet the ship. Is the first port stop the day after you sail, or is there a day at sea in there first?

Sandy

LHT28 04-01-2009 08:50 AM

Did you book cruise air or on your own?

I think it is a bit tight. I would check if NCL will wait for you it is about 2-3 hrs to
Dover depending on traffic.
Gatwick may not be as bad as LHR but...

penny3333 04-01-2009 08:53 AM

Hi attard, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Sorry to hear about your problems, and I am going to say problems. Because if everything doesn't go well, you'll be having to make arrangements to get to your first port of call. This happened on our last cruise to quite a few people. They flew to St. Barts only to not be able to board due to the weather and had to fly to Tobago. Not only did they miss out on a good number of days on board, but they spent a lot of money that they hadn't planned on spending. One gentleman had maxed out his credit card, don't know who worked with him, but someone helped get him to Tobago. Make sure you keep NCL's number with you, and keep in constant contact with them. I hope everything goes well, but be prepared if it doesn't. Start checking on flights now, just so you'll have a plan in place.

Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!

attard 04-03-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sandy:
Hi attard and welcome to Cruise Chat.

thanks for your email sandy. spoke to our travel agent who contacted NCL. the said they will be waiting for 12.30 flights at gatwick (ours is 11am). and as we have already filled in our onboard advanced checkin, our time of embarkation will be 3pm. once i'm on the NCL transfer i'll feel safe as they will be in contact with the ship. it would have been better to book the flight a day before embarkation. but if things go wrong we just have to board ship at copenhagen. 2 days later. good advice about the missed ship insurance. i will do that. thanks again.

Sorry to say this, but I think you're cutting it way too close, particularly with an international flight that you did not book through the cruise line. You won't even get out of Gatwick until 12:30, between going through Passport Control, claiming your luggage, etc. If there is any kind of delay with your flight, you're in trouble.

You said you purchased NCL's transfers. Are you within the limits of the last arrival time?

My first choice for a 2pm deadline would have been to arrive the day before and spend the night in Dover. If that's impossible, I suggest you get travel insurance that includes provisions for missing the ship. This will help pay to get you to the first port of call to meet the ship. Is the first port stop the day after you sail, or is there a day at sea in there first?

Sandy

attard 04-03-2009 01:17 PM

thanks for your emails penny and sandy. NCL have told us that they will be waiting at gatwick for 12.30pm flights, whereas ours is 11am (hoping there are no delays). it really depends how long it would take us from landing, customs, immigration and baggage claim. (NCL rep will be just outside the baggage claim area). once we're on NCL coach, i'll feel safe. after dover ship will be in copenhagen 2 days later. so i hope it dosen't come to that. thanks again.

penny3333 04-03-2009 01:56 PM

Yes, they will be there, and hopefully everything will go smoothly. Like you said, once on their coach, you'll be fine....but just in case your flight is late, make sure you have a plan. Let us know how it goes when you return. Try next time to go a day early, so much less stress that way! Best wishes!

attard 04-03-2009 02:43 PM

thanks for your email penny. next time it will be a day before the cruise that i will book the flight for sure. tell you all about it when we are back.

peter l 04-05-2009 06:40 AM

We had booked our very first cruise out of Puerto Rico and flew in the day of the cruise. We were very fortunate as we had a snow storm overnight and work up to 9 inches of very wet snow and needed to drive to the airport, get our flight out and make connections and make the departure of the ship in San Juan...Needless to say, that was our last flight out on the same day as a cruise! Now we are at the point of two days prior and that gives us the great vacation start with no worries of delays, even if they happen.

Happy cruising !

Peterl