Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Maybe most people know this, but I didn't until I went to renew my daughter's passport, so maybe it will be of some help to someone.
To get a passport for your child under age 14, both parents have to go to apply for the passport. If that is not possible then you have to have a notorized statement from the other parent.
Children's passports, even renewals, have to be done in person at a passport place (most post offices, we even got our pictures done at the post office.) They can't be mailed in like adult renewals.
Also, on the instruction sheet it says you have to send the child's birth certificate or expired passport. I happened to have both when we went and the clerk at the post office said that it was better to send both as it speeded up the process somewhat.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Banned

Heather, thank you for the post. Myself and my youngest need to renew passports and I wasn't sure if anything has changed since they were last done. I'm assuming they want the b.c. with the raised seal. A'ndrea
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM

A'ndrea, I had the state-issued b.c. with raised seal, but I think it does say that it has to be that, not a copy. The clerk at our post office was incredibly friendly and helpful. She said the passport office is sort of behind right now so it is taking longer than normal. We went ahead and did the expedited. They told us at least two weeks on that and about ten weeks for regular. Mine got here in just over a week, still waiting on daughter's, but it has not quite been two weeks yet. I think they had changed the part about both parents having to be there in 2000. Make sure you take ID with you, they wrote down our driver's license numbers on her form. Heather
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Thank you for posting, HeatherA. We had to go through the same with our son a couple of years ago. He'd had a passport since he was nine months old, and the first renewal when he was 5.5 years old was easy. The rules had changed by the time his passport was up for renwal when he was 10.5.

We brought his official birth certificate with raised seal, and his expiring passport. I believe we had to submit only one of them. It was were returned with the new passport.

This link from the U.S. Department of State explains it all.

On another note, minors age 14-17 also have to appear in person, and parental consent may be requested (as opposed to required).

Closed Thread

Tags
children, childrens, cruise, passport, passports