Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Next October (2007), my husband and I will celbrate ouf 30th anniversary (Even though I'm not old enough to have been married that long! )

We are trying to decide on a cruise. . . . Alaska. . . Europe. . . Hawaii . . . .

Oh, I know that which we eventually choose will depend on which cruise fills our wants and needs best. BUT!! I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the pros and/or cons of cruising to one of those locations in late September/early October.

I know the Alaskan cruises end around that time since the weather starts to turn then. Is the weather in the Mediterranean area warm enough? Is a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands better than a land tour? What about a repositioning cruise from Europe to the US?

Thanks!!
Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 PM

I don't think anyone will suggest Alaska in September Have you considered a Panama Canal cruise?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:39 PM

My experience, after living my whole life on the west coast of B.C. is that the weather up the inside passage to Alaska can be "iffy" in September, I would opt for a more southerly trip, but dont forget the Alaska , British Columbia cruise for another time!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 PM

I think seas might be rough on the repositioning cruises from Europe, though I had friends on one last November, first-time cruisers, who enjoyed it. Alaska will be chilly, yes, but what it comes down to is, what do you most want to see and do on your cruise? If your daydreams tend toward romantic walks on warm beaches, you may want to consider Hawaii or the Caribbean, or perhaps the west coast of Mexico. If you find yourself dreaming instead of discovering new and exotic or beautiful places, then do consider Alaska.

A cruise in/around Hawaii has the advantage over land tours in that you don't have to pack and unpack several times, or live out of a suitcase while seeing different islands, and that your meals and entertainment are included (no all-inclusives - well, one - in Hawaii!) The disadvantage is that you sample the islands, as you do in the Caribbean, as in most cases you will be in port only for a day, departing in the evening.

Hope this helps - it's only scratching the surface!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Hi - I strongly suggest Hawaii with a balcony stateroom for Sept/Oct. Alaska's too cold and the water's too rough from Europe to US. I went to Hawaii on the NCL Wind back in mid-October 1998 with my best friend and we were gone 2 whole weeks - we hit all the islands and had a fantastic time! The weather was so perfect - high 70's during the day and low 60's at night (windbreaker needed for those windy nights) - it was really romantic there also and I must have brought home at least 20 rolls of film - that's how gorgeous it was there! Good luck on your decision and happy 30th anniversary!!!

Laine
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. . . .

I am not wild about going to Alaska as I am not a cold-weather person. However, I would like to see Alaska as I am a photographer and it is such a beautiful area.

I lean towards Europe, I guess, because I would really like to do the Greek Isles, and there are quite a few 12-15 day cruises that hit Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Croatia and Turkey. Weather is a consideration. I guess if worse came to worse, we could book an August cruise. . . . .

Repositioning is an option, but I don't know that Michael would like to be at sea for 4-6 days without a port stop.

Weatheris why I also like the Hawaii idea.
My husband is lukewarm on Hawaii. . . likes the Alaska idea. . .likes the Greek Isles idea, though not too sure about the other places.

OH, I know it basically comes down to what ruise meets our wants and nees best, but I really do appreciate your input as it has helps my "thinks way too much" mentality.

Oh, well. I could have worse decisions to make!!

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
An Alaskan cruise is spectacular - my husband and I went the second week in September and had wonderful weather - we were very lucky. It's always a gamble for Alaska, but it is the one cruise I would do again in a heartbeat. Hawaii was fun too - we did NCL to avoid the long trans-Pacific crossing - with a different port every day. It was a nice way to check out each island to decide where we wanted to return to.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 PM

I live near Vancouver Canada. Out weather pattern on the Pacific coast seems to be shifting. Right now, the first day of summer, it still feels like mid-Spring. Last September we had freinds go on Alaska cruise and they had sunny days all through. We used to feel the evening chill in Mid-September, but now its near the end of the month.
You might want to look into the California- Florida Panama Canal run. We did it the opposite way, 14 days. Did 3 ports in Mexico, 1 in Costa Rica, and Aruba. I was surprised with Costa Rica....so beautiful!!
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 06-22-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Dellajj, I love BC! We haven't been in a few years, but the last time, we stayed in Victoria for 4-5 days (early September). It was cool, but I was thrilled that it didn't rain.

I don't know. . . I think WAY TOO MUCH! If I had my way, I'd do the round-the-world cruise. I keep telling my husband we need to do that, and he keeps sighing. I wonder why???

How long do I have now???

Chris

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Ijust came back from a 12 day cruise of the greek isles, istanbul/kusadasi turkey and naples off the galaxy... the best itinerary ever.. i suggest you try that one... i had a blast...

Closed Thread