Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 AM

While we've all been drooling over the new Oasis of the Seas and all the lovely lines that she's got.
I've been thinking about some of the ships that have been produced over the years and there are some ugly ship out there.
So I'm asking name your ugly looking ships. It doesn't have to be the whole ship, maybe just a bit of it.
I will name mine firstly the Golden Princess, it looks like a shopping trolley, the inside it a bit of a hodge-podge.
I'm also going to put the front of the new QM2, the bow is clean but the bridge looks like it's hit a bridge.
I know beauty is in the eye beholder so there is a good chance we'll not all agree with each.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM

I thought the Caribbean Princess and the Emerald Princess were beauties. And thought the Golden was like them, but could be wrong. The QM2 was in Port Everglades with us, she sure looked beautiful to me. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an ugly cruise ship, just some prettier than others
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM

I don't like the NCL ships with the graffiti that has been painted on some of them. I will probably get flamed for this but you don't see large tattoos on Ms. America. They don't belong on a ship. The lines and design of a ship make it beautiful. Leave the artwork for railroad box cars and interstate overpasses.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't like the NCL ships with the graffiti that has been painted on some of them
Yeah, they look like they were tagged by a street gang. Same goes for some airlines and the junk they scrawl all over their airplanes. I've always preferred simple paint schemes for ships and airplanes.

Same goes for "junk" stuck here and there on some ships. Celebrity's earlier ships were clean looking but then they decided to do some bizarre custom job on the Millenium and others of that class. It's like a nautical version of a 59 Ford Galaxie.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Hello mps69; when you say Golden Princess looks like a shopping trolley, are you referring to Skywalker's Lounge, high above the stern? I do agree it is strange; it's always reminded me of a "spoiler" on the back of a race car. However, a great view from up there. I think it was a good move on Diamond and Sapphire Princess, moving it forward a bit so it dosen't block out the sun at the Terrace Pool.

I have to agree with you on QM2; to me it looks "boxy" and out of proportion--top heavy. The original Queen Mary was a much better looking ship--as is the Queen Victoria.

And I have to go along with Dave and the good Dr. on NCL; and it's a shame because the ships have nice lines; but they've ruined them with what some call "hull art". Hullcrap!

One thing I don't like about the lines of most newer ships is -- the lines -- no curves. If you stand in a hallway of almost any pre-1980's ship, you cant't see either end; there is a nice gently sloping curve. The new ships are straight as arrows from the stern until just before the bow. Oh, I know it maximizes space, but curves are nice. Here is the Dawn Princess--perfectly straight the whole lengeth.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
when you say Golden Princess looks like a shopping trolley, are you referring to Skywalker's Lounge,
Yeah that's the very thing, it's very weird. The view is stunning, but I'd love to know what the designer was thinking about. Maybe he was doing his shopping one and thought "hmmm there's a cool idea"

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If you stand in a hallway of almost any pre-1980's ship, you cant't see either end; there is a nice gently sloping curve.
Isn't that known as the shear?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank you, Dave; I didn't know the correct term. I just know you don't see them/it any more.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Then I guess y'all don't like the lips on the front of the Aida ships.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
No, I sure don't; that was a crime to do that to the beautiful old Crown Princess.

Now here is what I consider a nice line, or "shear":

Closed Thread