Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info, Cassanova, SonnyV and Jim C. That's quite a relief!
10/03 CCL Carnival Legend
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Add me as a friend on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/avenger1971
Old 08-16-2007, 07:23 PM

I can't get any info from Carnival about Sunday's Conquest. An operator at Carnival even claimed she was not aware of DEAN!????
Any suggesions for other ports of call? Another guy at Carnival said that this is a W. Carribean cruise and they would not go to Key West etc. But it looks like Dean is taking over the entire W. Carribean.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 PM

texaskaz- Go to the port. Get on the ship... I don't know where they will be taking you but I guarantee you will be cruising. You most likely won't know until the day of the cruise anyway. And yes, Carnival's operators are in Miami and they don't pay much attention to the western Caribbean. Unless they have a itinerary update from the head office, they can't tell you anything. Dean is not supposed to get into the area the Conquest sails in until after your ship leaves Galveston. If the storm does take the track that is currently forecast, I don't see the Conquest doing its normal western Caribean route. I think Key West is a good possiblity but they have to hit a non-US port per law and I do not know what that would be.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Well western Caribbean cruises should no be affected… unless Dean changes course
and yes is really difficult to live on the Caribbean but all the years is the same. Actually this hurricane is just in the level 2 is not as hard as the last one but we are careful anyway just in case…

As for the southern Caribbean here is the info:

Dean has passed by Barbados and is affecting Martinique,
As these islands were affected by Dean, Carnival Destiny had to change its itinerary in order to avoid the hurricane. They visit st. Lucia but the ship will avoid Antigua on his itinerary is suppose to be on Tortola today, instead of Antigua.
Carnival Destiny should be on port in San Juan as scheduled no problem, as I see it there will be no changes in its itinerary next week.
Maybe they will have to change a few port of calls depending on the activity of the hurricane on the island the week before and how they were affected.
As now Puerto Rico is under tropical storm warning, which means we should have rain and speed winds.
So you know the only thing affecting the island now is the wind no rain.

Some other cruises should have a few changes on itinerary:

• Carnival miracle
This week itinerary had a few changes: St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola will be replaced by Nassau and Grand Turk.

• Royal Caribbean
No change to itineraries, but as the AOS is departing from Puerto Rico and that
Aruba is their first port of call on Tuesday, I think the itinerary will have no changes unless the port is affected big time I don’t believe it will be a problem.

Here is the link as for the Caribbean weather:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/170853.shtml

That’s all for now see you!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Cas, You barely dodged a bullet with this one!

I for one am getting really concerned about this storm's intensity and projected path. For Jamaica and Cozumel. I don't think Cozumel can stand another direct hit with something this strong.

I hope it goes between them and fizzles down.

Dwayne
Old 08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks to God!!!
worse yet is on level 5 now...
Poor people of Jamaica,
The last level five that past Puerto Rico left the island on crisis for almost a month and the way I see it Jamaica better start making all they can this is a big hurricane...
Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Dwayne, I too am quite concerned about the islands in the path of Dean. Jamaica is suppose to take a direct hit. If Dean continues on coarse, Grand Cayman will too. The storm has no way out except through the Yucatan peninsula, which mean Cozumel and Cancun are in harms way from this monster storm. Cozumel hasn't fully recovered from Wilma, and now here comes Dean. This is very sad.

Sonny
Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I see I am not the only one worried about Dean. I keep pulling the hurricane center every hour or so to see if any updates on the storm path have been posted.

I am certainly keeping everyone in Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico in my thoughts as they prepare for this impending disaster.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Problem is now is under the influence of the Caribbean Sea (mar caribe).
In the Caribbean we know that once a hurricane touch this water it only gets worse,
Since the sea is hot and act like gas to a fire…
So I believe there is no way that Jamaica can escape this one, even if it is downgraded to level 4, as I hope, it will surely hit them.
Maybe Mexico will get it with less power since when it touch Jamaica it will lose power when a hurricane touch any island the land someway reduce its wind speed it can even change its direction but then it will hit Cuba and go up…don’t really know
I am just praying they get lucky with this one.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Quote:
How long do you think these storms/hurricanes will be affecting the area? My cruise leaves on 8/31. It it possible that they will still be causing enough problems that my cruise could be canceled, or will they most likely have passed by then? I realize that there is also the possibility that even if the storm has passed, enough damage may have been done that the port isn't worth visiting.

I will be leaving from NY, and stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola

Dean will be history as far as weather concerns you, when you leave for your cruise. However, that doesn't mean that there won't be another hurricane before that. The season lasts until November. Look at how quickly Erin came up (after Dean). It was just a tropical storm but the remnants are doing terrible flooding damage in Oklahoma. But the cruise lines will change itineraries and ports to avoid any problems.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, affecting, cancel, conquest, cruise, cruises, destiny, don, explorer, hurricanes, seas, storm, storms, tropical, weekend