Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
I know that if you are sailing from PR you already know, but here is some info of this tropical storm DEAN:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/nhc.asp?part...ic_Advisory_Number_8

If you are going in any of this ships:

*The adventure of the seas

*Carnival Destiny

maybe this could help remember tropical storm is not a hurricane but it could affect the ports of call of your trip, anyway check the link if your are planning southern caribbean.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 AM

Now I'm getting nervous. We're cruising on September 3 and the thought of these tropical storms/hurricanes popping up already scares me. I know it's hurricane season but....I hope we don't run into any problems. If we didn't purcahse insurance (it wasn't worth it because the cruise was so cheap) do we lose out on EVERYTHING?
10/03 CCL Carnival Legend
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Add me as a friend on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/avenger1971
Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 AM
I think, that in case of a hurricane, you don’t lose anything even without insurance but the will rebook your trip to other date; problem is what good is going to a port of call destroyed by a hurricane the week before your trip?

But don't worry is not a big trouble last year Hurricanes were not as active as they use to...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Avenger, don't worry. If you can't make your trip because of a tropical storm or hurricane you won't lose anything. When Wilma was forecasted to hit Miami I could have gotten a full refund for the cruise. I didn't because I thought the hurricane would arrive after the ship left port. WRONG! I got on the ship two days after I was suppose to. I did get refunded for the two days I missed.
I'm leaving on my cruise one day before you.

Sonny

Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Careful with that comment Sonny, They won't lose on the cruise, but the airline tickets are not going to be forgiven UNLESS the airlines cancel the flights.

BUT, I would say not to worry. It is VERY rare that a cruise gets completely cancelled. If the ship can leave port before the storm hits, then they will most likely just change the itinerary to avoid bad weather. Or as in Sonny's case, they may delay the cruise because they can't get the ship in port. (Of course if you are ON the ship and it can't enter port, you get BONUS cruise days...

Just watch the weather reports (I watch the NOAA site) and keep in mind who storms can affect your air travel. If you are coming in the day before, that gives your buffer time, but realize that if you are traveling the morning of your cruise that storms in another city entirely change delay your flights even.

Don't worry too much, the odds are pretty good of you getting on your cruise, the worst thing that tends to happen is a port change which is no big deal...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Hello cruise chat:

Since I am on the Caribbean (Puerto Rico) and maybe some of you are coming this weekend to visit some of the Caribbean islands on your cruise, is important to let you know what is happening on the Caribbean and how the hurricane season is going. You don’t have to panic about this, for all we know this will be no trouble.

Well here are some of the updates about Dean:

• Will be passing in the southern Caribbean this weekend. So if you are traveling on the Adventure of the seas or Carnival Destiny this is important.
• Barbados is a possible route for this hurricane so if you are on the Carnival Destiny or visiting this port of call, maybe they will change it to a new one.
• There is a warning for the islands of Dominica and st. Lucia, and mostly all the small Antilles, “Antillas menores” as we call them here.
• Puerto Rico is not under a warning of hurricane but we are one of the possibilities on the route of this hurricane.
o here is the link you should see if you are coming to the Caribbean this weekend:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/160912.shtml

As for the cruise industry:

Today someone in the local news told that the Cruise lines are watching the hurricane. As for now they haven’t cancel any trip but is a big possibility, since it is affecting all the small islands. They will have to stay on port until this hurricane is affecting the Antilles as a security measure.
So if you are traveling to the Caribbean you should know the different cruise lines will have changes on the itinerary and if you are embarking from Puerto Rico maybe is better to call your cruise company, just in case, to know if there is going to be any cancellation.

Sorry for the bad news

Casanova
Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 AM

How long do you think these storms/hurricanes will be affecting the area? My cruise leaves on 8/31. It it possible that they will still be causing enough problems that my cruise could be canceled, or will they most likely have passed by then? I realize that there is also the possibility that even if the storm has passed, enough damage may have been done that the port isn't worth visiting.

I will be leaving from NY, and stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Unless a storm spins off of Cape Agulhas in the next couple of days, you should be fine.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
well the news said is going to be passing near Puerto Rico during saturday night and sunday morning, PR and St. Thomas will just have a few rains like tropical storm kind thats no trouble.
Maybe they will last a few days during this week.
The trouble is for us here if he hit us!!! LOL
the last hurricane we had, the electricity went out for a week but for this hurricane mostly the south part of PR will be affected. The news said it shouldn't be as bad as last time just rain.
As for your cruise you should have not trouble is almost two weeks from now I think you will be fine.
Anyway as soon as they have new info on the cruise lines on the local news I will let you know.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Casanova - thanks for the info. Hopefully you are right and my cruise will not be affected.

More importantly, I hope you aren't hit too hard. Being without electricity for an entire week has got to be very tough. I guess living in paradise does have a downside at times

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, affecting, cancel, conquest, cruise, cruises, destiny, don, explorer, hurricanes, seas, storm, storms, tropical, weekend