Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 AM

I am thinking about a cruise to Hawaii but can only go between July and August. I seem to only find NCL's two ships; Pride of America and Pride of Aloha. Does anyone know if there any other available? My dates cannot go outside those months due to my work. Also which do people prefer? My wife and I like to learn when away (history, cultures etc.) not much for scuba etc. We would like to avoid kids as much as possible as we both have high stress jobs and prefer to stay away from "group tour" things. We have never been to Hawaii and never have been on a cruise. We get so many different opinions on which island is the best that we would like to see as many as possible in order to decide for ourselves. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 AM

I am thinking about a cruise to Hawaii but can only go between July and August. I seem to only find NCL's two ships; Pride of America and Pride of Aloha. Does anyone know if there any other available? My dates cannot go outside those months due to my work. Also which do people prefer? My wife and I like to learn when away (history, cultures etc.) not much for scuba etc. We would like to avoid kids as much as possible as we both have high stress jobs and prefer to stay away from "group tour" things. We have never been to Hawaii and never have been on a cruise. We get so many different opinions on which island is the best that we would like to see as many as possible in order to decide for ourselves. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Hi Dave,
Welcome to cruise-chat. Unfortunately, during July and August the only cruise line I am aware of that has any sailings to Hawaii is NCL. On other cruise lines, in most cases, Hawaii is part of a repostitioning cruise between seasons(in the fall and early spring).

Hawaii is one of my favorite destinations, but I am a beach person. If I were an avid history buff or looking for cultural experiences - I am not sure that Hawaii would be at the top of my list. Hawaii cruises tend to be all about the beautiful beaches, scenery and communing with nature. Also, in July and August there will definitely be a good number of children on an NCL cruise. During summer break the mainstream cruise lines all have a high percentage of children/families on board.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 AM

If you have a high-stress job, Hawaii has a lot to offer you. I found that you get what you want outta the deal. My first trip I spent most of my time in a rental car driving tither and yon. (technical talk)!!! So, on my subsequent journey(s), I slowed way down and spent time at local county parks. I was on the Big Island for this adventure, and I'm telling you, this was some of the best scenery ever. Free Free Free and the pace was SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! I found snorkeling spots to die for, and waterfalls to swim in, and lagoons to make Brooke Shields jealous. (Gotta be older to understand that one!) Hope you have fun wherever you go...............
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM

I have to agree with the other posters. Hawaii is an awesome destination, buy many peoople get to active to really experience it. I you want to be removed from stress, try one of the resorts on an neighbor island (Kauai, Maui, Molokai, Lanai or Hawaii) and just relax for a week.

Hmmmm, maybe I should start a "Hawaii Reviews" website?

Tom
Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the posts guys. And so quickly greatly appreciated My other question is Are the Pride of Aloha and america as bad as all the posts? 2) As I have never been on a cruise -how rocky does the water get? I don't have vertigo but I do get sick on carnival rides (short of the merry go round) 3) If time was not a factor what ship would you recommend? The most important thing to us is CLEAN also I suffer allergies and have to stay from mold. Some of the posts about the Aloha are completely disgusting such as overflowing toilets and no clean up. One last one-Is Hawaii a good idea for first time cruisers?
thanks again.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree with you. The reviews for the two have not been good. I was also planning a Hawaii cruise for Jan or Feb. I have only been to the Main island a few times. This is a great way to see all the islands and then return to the ones I like. What I do notice is there are no sea days. Since you have never been on a cruise I feel sea days are the best! They are great for sleeping in and just relaxing around the pool drinking tropical drinks. Maybe enjoy a massage. You will not get that on the Hawiian cruises you are interested in. There are times when there are 11 and 15 day cruises from L.A or San Fran. Or from Hawaii to Ensanada. You get both sea days and port days. On these two cruises you will be in port everyday. No time to relax here! You will need a vacation from your vacation when you return. I avoid cruising during all holidays, spring breaks and summers. I want to enjoy my cruise. These will be sold out cruises with many kids or college students. Impossible to get a chair poolside unless you get to the pool by 8am. I have never been sea sick on a cruise and I do not do Carnival rides either. If the boat is rocking I do recommend taking a couple sea sick pills which you can get at the pursers desk. Only needed to do it one day on one cruise. I always bring a can of lysol. The minute I get into the room I spray the entire room. Toilet, shower, knobs, phone, sheets etc. I know the minute I walk out of the room I am back to square one but it makes me feel better. Also wash, wash, wash your hands several times a day. Carry some intant sanitizer with you too. Also carry a little pharamcy with you such as throat lozengers, couph syrup, advil, cold medicine. My husband comes down with a cold everytime. This last cruise we had a balcony. I wanted to sleep with the door open to hear the ocean at night. First 2 nights it was too cold and after that he was sick. He had to go to the ship Dr to get some medicine...not cheap!

Closed Thread

Tags
america, august, cruise, cruises, hawaii, july, julyaugust, june, lines, months, pride, sell, ships, summer, trip