Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM

I haven't seen very much on here about people who cruise during hurricane season. I am going to be on the Navigator during September. Anyone ever have problems with flights going in or out of Miami due to a hurricane?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM

I haven't seen very much on here about people who cruise during hurricane season. I am going to be on the Navigator during September. Anyone ever have problems with flights going in or out of Miami due to a hurricane?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM

One never knows, but the cruise portion should be no problem. I would suggest that you buy travel insurance and plan to fly into Miami at least one day in advance.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 PM

We went on the Navigator in October and absolutely loved it. Because of the hurricane we missed a few ports but it didn't matter. There was plenty to do on the ship. We drove to Miami from Indiana but you never know about the weather. We're going on the Freedom of the Seas in September 2007. It's worth the price break to go during this time of year.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:34 PM

We were on the Adventure of the Seas last year in August. Three days before we were supposed to leave for San Juan, a hurricane hit the Miami area. I was a wreck about the flight being cancelled, but American told me that they would re-route us if the airport remained closed. Luckily, we didn't have a problem at all. I was very glad that we went in a day early.

While we were at sea, Katrina hit the NO area. We didn't feel a wave. Of course, we were in the southern Caribbean, so we were very far removed from the bad weather.

If your flight is connected to your cruise, you should be okay. If you do the flight separately, you might have more of a problem if your flights are cancelled. My suggestion is to go in a day or two early, if possible, regardless.

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 AM

I was on a cruise last year in an area threatened by a hurricane, and we had to change course pretty sharpish... still had a wonderful time though! I wouldn't worry too much
Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 PM

Keep your eye on the weather channel. We went to Miami last October two days before our cruise knowing that Wilma was heading there also. We were suppose to board the Majesty on Monday Oct.24th which was when Wilma hit. We didn't get on board until Wed. Oct.26th. The people on the ship got an extra two day cruise, and our cruse was shortened. RCCL did reinburse us for the lost days. It was quite an experience. We got to see things we never saw before like THIS. The problem at the airport was the day before Wilma hit and several day after when the airport was closed. I wouldn't travel to the Miami area ever again with a hurricane forecasted.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM

You can save a bunch during hurricane season and worse case senerio is that you have to change or maybe miss a port or two.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 AM

I would recommend calling your cruise line and ask what their policy is if the airport is closed the day that you are suppose to fly in. We were flying in to Miami earlier this month when a hurricane was forecasted for the west side of Florida. I called RC and they gave me the phone number to call if I couldn't land in Miami and would need to land in Nassau and meet up with the cruise on the 2nd day. They said if I called that number, RC would help me arrange everything to get on board at a port. I also called our airplines and was told that they would try to help me out if I could not fly into Miami. A lot of people say to fly in the day before your cruise leaves, but if the hurrican is due the day before you leave, that won't help you out at all.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 AM

You can also check the website NOAA.com and drive yourself crazy watching all of the Tropical Storms starting up in the Western Atlantic I know I did last year when we went on the Valor out of Miami in September. We had a couple of storms that threatened our cruise before we left and one right after we left but during the cruise it only rained for about 15 minutes the whole time. Both cruises I have went on have been during hurricane season. You can drive yourself crazy watching the weather and wondering but all in all they were both terrific cruises!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, crusie, hurricane, reviews, season, traveling