Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 06:07 PM

My wife are mid-50s and have cruised over 20 times and we still dicker over when is the best time to book a cruise. We know prices are set by a computer model that looks at a forecast and bookings to date. But from a practical senses, I would be interested to know from you feel you got your best deals booking early or at the last minute. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 PM

I always book about 10-12 months out. The prices are low then and begin to go up and then go back down last minute. We travel with kids and book a balcony room for us but like to have a quad directly across the hall for the kids. Because of needing rooms across the hall from each other I like to book early.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I booked my next cruise six months ahead. Carnival said if there were any deals or lower prices before I actually went they would meet the price and refund me.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Varies.
I just returned from a Baltic Cruise that I booked last minute.
In March while on a cruise reunion we all booked for next July

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 AM

Traveler2005,

I don't think there is a "best time to book". It all depends on your flexibility. If you are totally flexible (e.g. because you are retired), you will probably catch some excellent last-minute deals.

However, the downside is that in that case you must "take what's left", and it will probably not be possible for you to pick a particular cabin.

When booking far in advance, you can choose the cabin of your choice, and - as many ships sail sold out these days - also the ship of your choice. And it might be possible that booking early is less than booking late.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM

I agree with previous poster. My husband and I booked 4 weeks in advance for our next cruise leaving September 30th only because it was a last minute plan to travel. We saved a ton of money for guaranteed room. However, the guaranteed rooms do not allow you to choose a room - you have to take what they have. Often, I hear, if space permits they will book you into the highest price catetegory. But you still don't have the flexibility to choose your own room which is important to me. It would have been at least $400 more to book a specific room.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Yesterday, I booked 14 months ahead. I like to know that I can pretty much get what I want that early out.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM

If price is your ONLY concern I would book last minute, however if cabin selection is most important I would book as early as possible for the best rate.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 AM

HI there,
Just an update. We just got our cabin assignment for our guaranteed room and we were upgraded 6 categories to a PERFECT inside room, smack dab in the middle of the ship. Deck 9 with neighbors only on one side and nothing above or below us to keep us awake at night. I couldn't be happier
Old 09-23-2005, 10:14 AM

Two weeks ago we booked the Splendour Cruise starting november 12th in Barcelona.
We prefer booking 2-3 months ahead, or even later. We have no preferences in the cabin and prefer guarantee cabins. Thats the best price for us.
Now on the Splendour were getting a cabin on deck 7. Last year on the Jewel we got an upgrade from inside to outside and got a handicapt cabin, very large, but the closets have been a little bit to small, because they are constructed different than normal closets.

Closed Thread