Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Hi, we are a family of four, planning on taking our first cruise. We are taking the kids (ages 21 and 18) for their graduation. We are planning on going June, 2006.
The destination is not very important, either Bermuda or Caribbean. I wanted to try to sail out of Philadelphia, but the ships don't get very good reviews.
Can anyone give me some advice on ships that will cater to our ages: 46, 45, 21 and 18.
I am presently looking at a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Imagination. I appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Hi, we are a family of four, planning on taking our first cruise. We are taking the kids (ages 21 and 18) for their graduation. We are planning on going June, 2006.
The destination is not very important, either Bermuda or Caribbean. I wanted to try to sail out of Philadelphia, but the ships don't get very good reviews.
Can anyone give me some advice on ships that will cater to our ages: 46, 45, 21 and 18.
I am presently looking at a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Imagination. I appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 PM

Boy, if you can manage it, I would suggest one of the Voyager or Freedom class ships of Roayl Cribbean's. I can't imagine a better first cruise experience.

Just my opinion.

Tom
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Philly Cruiser,

A very cruise savvy friend of mine has been on the Empress Of The Seas a couple times in the past two years (since the ship was refurbished) and he thinks quite highly of it. Since this is one of the ships sailing from Philadelphia, I would certainly consider it.

But if you are looking at a western Caribbean I would certainly second Tom's endorsement of a Voyager-class ship with RCCL.

As for Carnival - we like this line just fine and are 50 and 49. The Imagination is an older ship in today's market and while it offers a pleasant cruise experience it isn't nearly as interesting as, say, the Mariner Of The Seas. Most first time cruisers are impressed with whatever ship they are going on that first time. After all, you have nothing to compare it to. It is later, when the cruise bug has bitten you and you branch out to new ships and other cruise lines that you may find yourself saying "wow, this is more my style".
Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 AM

Philly, there are some nice ships sailing to Bermuda and the Caribbean from New York, not that far away from Philadelphia. There was a discussion here recently of the advantages of taking the train to New York and then a taxi to the Manhattan piers, if you're leaving on one of the ships that sail from there.

Sandy
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Hey Philly Cruiser!

I live in Delaware and took my first cruise last summer on Royal's Enchantment of the Seas which departed from the Philly Navy Yard. From a convenience point of view, that was awesome! From the time I left my house to walking into my cabin was about 2-hours - you can't beat that.

With that said, you are right to be cautious of the two ships going out of Philly next year. We gave serious consideration to both ships, and pretty much decided against it after talking with representatives of our travel agent at a cruise fair in October. I also got some good advise from the great people on this site.

Our main reason is, the Empress for Royal, and the NCL Crown (I think????) are the smallest ships for each fleet - so less accomodations, room options, smaller cabins, etc. Most people recommended that since I did the Enchantment (Vision Class ship I believe) first, they fear I will be disappointed with the smaller ships.

It has been recommended that I consider Baltimore - which has the Grandeur of the Seas (same class as Enchantment) sailing to the Western Caribbean next spring / summer, or even going up to Cape Libery Cruise Port in Bayonne, NJ for the Voyager of the Seas.

Good Luck with your decision.

Enchantment - August 2005
Old 01-01-2006, 12:54 PM

I WOULD SUGEST A CROUSE OUT OF FT. LAUDERDALE OR MIAMI (7 DAY ) WITH ONLY 3PORTS OF CALL AND 3 DAYS ON THE SHIP THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO ON THE SHIP YOUR KIDS WILL REALY INJOY ALL THE ACTIVATES

Edit: Confusing quotation / reply chaos removed. Double Posting deleted. RF
Old 01-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

While it is true the Empress and Crown are smaller vessels, these can often be preferable depending on the person. Smaller ships may have less "stuff" but they also are more intimate and you can get to know the crew on a more personal basis. You also have a better sense of being at sea, as opposed to the floating resorts that hold 3000 passengers. But - it is a personal choice. I always thought bigger was better, but lately have been turning to cruises on smaller ships to see what I was missing.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:18 PM

We took our 16 & 19 year old boys on thier first cruise on a Princess ship. Needless to say...WE NEVER SAW THEM...they were having too much fun! It was a 4-day repositioning cruise and they never got bored. They took in cabaret shows,played basketball in the courtroom, ate pizza at the pizzeria, etc.....all without us.We made them promise a meeting time for one formal dinner sitting, and even though they were with MOM & DAD(ha ha) they still enjoyed it. So...I can just imagine how much more excited they would have been on a Royal Carribean "voyager class", with the wall-climb, ice-rink, mini golf, etc.!! So with that being said...research a little to find what interests all, and don't fret....You'll all have a great time!
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 AM

I thing if you go with kids better choose one of big vessels bcose there is so much activities available.
Smaller ships are mostly for couples who want intimacy

Regards;

Closed Thread