Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Hi everyone Well, I know this isn't a cruise questions, it is a flying question. Like most of you probably, we have to fly to get to the cruise. So, I bought a portable DVD player. It came with a car adapter, AC plug in, and a battery for it. My questions is,- can I use either the care adapter or AC plug in on a airplane. I never took notice of these plugs before. They battery says is last 2.5-4 hours, depending on the settings it is on, so I'd like to plug it in. I did think about buying another battery for it, but not if I have too. Any info from you travel savvy people would be appreciated. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Hi everyone Well, I know this isn't a cruise questions, it is a flying question. Like most of you probably, we have to fly to get to the cruise. So, I bought a portable DVD player. It came with a car adapter, AC plug in, and a battery for it. My questions is,- can I use either the care adapter or AC plug in on a airplane. I never took notice of these plugs before. They battery says is last 2.5-4 hours, depending on the settings it is on, so I'd like to plug it in. I did think about buying another battery for it, but not if I have too. Any info from you travel savvy people would be appreciated. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator

To my knowledge there are no electrical outlets - ac or dc - in the seating areas of commercial aircraft. You will be on battery power alone.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Hi,
My wife bought me one for Christmas. I used it flying to San Juan in Feb. You can plug the AC in at the airport but you will have to use the battery while on the plane. You will be able to watch at least one movie on a charge. I have a portable battery also that I can get another 6 hours of play time. It also will charge my DVD player battery. Circuit City and Bestbuy carry these portable battery for about $80.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 AM

While on the plane you will have to rely on batteries only. But bring your regular plug in your carry-on and if you stop-over somewhere you can recharge in the airport.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Don't know when the last time the rest of you have been on a plane, but at least on MOST American flights there is a 12VDC Auto adapter plug under the seats. (Or between them in business class. We have a personal DVD player for the kids and it helps a bunch. Just use the same adapter that you would use in the car and find the outlet for it under the seats.

Jim
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I will definately look for the plugs in the seats. My battery will be charged whenever I can, just in case there is no plug. Sonny, thanks for the extra portable battery tip. It would be nice to have, just in case. Lil' Lori

Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I was quite surprised to learn that many airlines do indeed have DC power available. However, there are restrictions. Check out this link for details.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Although you did not ask... If you plan to watch a movie on the flight be sure to bring good earphones. The first time we did this the jet engine overpowered our earphones and could not hear hardly at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
ac, adapter, airplane, bring, carnival, cruise, dvd, plane, player, plug, plugs, portable, questions, reviews, vehicle