Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Weather enroute to Hawaii in February?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/976-weather-enroute-hawaii-february.html)

lss 12-09-2004 03:53 PM

We are considering traveling from LA to Hawaii roundtrip at the beginning of February and we would like to take advantage of the outdoor amenities of the cruise ship including the veranda and the pool.

Is this possible or unrealistic?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

lss 12-09-2004 03:53 PM

We are considering traveling from LA to Hawaii roundtrip at the beginning of February and we would like to take advantage of the outdoor amenities of the cruise ship including the veranda and the pool.

Is this possible or unrealistic?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Oggy Boy 12-15-2004 08:28 PM

You will run the risk that there may be large northern swells running through the Northern Pacific Ocean. If it occurs there may be a good amount of pitching (front to back) and rolling (side to side) motion on the ship. It is a crap shoot, as January and February can be prolific for Northern Pacific swells. However, I would not cancel a cruise based on the odds.

Have a great cruise and let us know how it turns out.

Tom

tomatopa 04-18-2005 08:26 PM

wondering if anyone did the LA to Hawaii cruise in january or february and how it went. was the weather okay. what kind of clothes did you need for temperature changes? tell all

Oggy Boy 04-18-2005 08:32 PM

It is going to be cvhilly for at least the first two days. However, you may get lucky and have Santa Ana conditions that would drastically improve the weather, but count on two days of chilly weather and then if you get the gidt of good weather, rejoice.

After that, it will be nice and sunny (unless there is a front moving through) It is a nice ride to Hawaii and a very enjoyable 5 sea days. Once in Hawaii, plan for tropical weather.

Have a great cruise.

Tom

tomatopa 04-19-2005 12:48 PM

thanks for the information. when you were in port at each island, did you have enough time to see what you wanted? is there anything you would not miss? is there anything you wish you had not spent time doing? we have not been to hawaii before. thanks, again.

Oggy Boy 04-19-2005 03:35 PM

First time to Hawaii?

Hilo, don't miss touring the volcano. You might be best off here to take a tour, rather than renting a car. Getting to the volcano is kinda tricky (well, not to the park itself, but finding an active flow) Here is what I would suggest. Take a 1/2 day tour to the Volcano and then take the walk from the port into Hilo that is described at http://www.hawaiiportreviews.com/HiloHawaii.htm

This will give you the best of your visit to Hilo.

In Kona, I am not sure that I would rent a car, unless you had something specific that you wanted to see. The distances are great getting around the Big Island and you can burn a lot of time just driving somewhere. I think I would tender into Kailua, explore the town and then partake in some activity such as snorkeling, fishing, beaching it up or enjoying one of the many excellent restaurants in Kailua.

Ditto on Maui. Are you tendering into Lahaina, or docking in Kahului? If you are in Kahului, then by all means do rent a car (airport is only 5 minutes away) and go to Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach. If you are tendering into Lahaina, I would just spend the day exploring Lahaina and then take the shuttle out to Kaanapali. Again, unless there is something specific you really want to see.

Nawiliwili is basically a commercial harbor for Kauai and this is one island I might consider renting a car to either go visit Waimea Canyon or trek out to the north shore and Hanalei. If you wanted to stay around Nawiliwili, visit the Mariott Hotel. You can set up on the beach and drink and dine at Dukes on the Beach. It is a great beach day. If you want the best beach on Kauai, then rent a car and drive to Poipu Beach.

Oahu is easy. You can take the bus everywhere and avoid massive traffic and parking fees. The busses are frequent and popular.

Visit www.HawaiiPortReviews.com for more ideas. There is a ton of things for a first time visitor to Hawaii to do without renting a car, as Hawaii is an enchanting destination and you won't have to go looking for it, it will find you, no matter where you are.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

tomatopa 04-19-2005 10:06 PM

Thanks so much. Tom. that was very nice of you and will be very helpful. since our cruise is for January 29, 2006 i will have tons of time to plan our days on each island. you have given me a good head start.