Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Ok, it's been four years since we have been on a cruise but I feel like it's my first. We are on the Tahitian Princess Sept 1 from Tahiti to Hawaii and I am starting to feel overwhelmed and under prepared. First question of many to come. Is the evening wear, formal and informal nights, the same as it was 4 years ago?
Any packing tips would be appreciated!
Old 07-15-2007, 03:54 PM

First, take a deep breath and relax. A south Pacific/Hawaii vacation is something to be excited about not overwhelmed. I don't know how long your sailing is but you'll have either 2 or possibly 3 formal nights so bring 3 dressy outfits and if you don't use one, no biggie.

Best packing tip is don't go crazy and pack your whole closet and bureau but bring enough to not have to visit the laundry room. Most of all, celebrate don't stress. You're going to have the time of your life!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM
One of the packing tips I got when I first started visiting this place, which I discovered really works, is using big zip-lock bags. I first read about it somewhere here. Maybe it was that article written by Tom and Mary?

Anyway, especially for your carry-on bag, you would get the things you will take with you, divided them up by catagory:
- important documentation
- medicines
- reading matierials
- sunscreens,lotions,toiletries,etc.
- small food and snack items
- writing matierials (paper,pens,envelopes,etc).
and place them in separate zip-lock bags. It made things allot easier and quicker to get to things you need. And in case you have liquid items and there is a spill; it will be contained; making clean-up much easier. Sometimes you will need a large zip-lock bag. I have seen 2 gallon ones at the store; and more recently 4 gallon ones (if you need something that huge).

Just remember, if you are traveling by air, to separate the bag that contains containers of liquids over 3.4oz (100ml) and place them in your checked baggage before checking-in at the airport. The same especially goes for after the cruise when you are returning with your bottles of liquour. Just make sure you have enough padding around the bottles so they don't break inside your checked-bag.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I keep making notes and picking up the unusually items (zip-lock bags)we need. Do the airlines pay that close attention to the weight and size of your checked bags?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned

K & S... absolutely, they do. We found out the hard way at LAX. 50 pound weight limit per bag. We were told, shuffle your items between bags or pay the exceeded amount. We shuffled, and fast.

A'ndrea
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Not only weight but AA has been getting strict on the number of bags also. They say 2 50lbs or less bags per person plus 1 carry on (and a personal item such as purse or computer)

Watch the weight and keep in mind that your outgoing weight may be less than your return weight. (No I'm not talking about your physical weight, I'm talking about the added weight of souvenirs you are most like going to buy) Don't fill your bags up to 49 lbs a piece or you are going to have trouble getting back!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM

We were told by our TA that we could check our luggage in at our departure point, Kansas City, and would not have to mess with luggage in LAX. So will the bags be weighed in Kansas City and LAX? Can hubby have a carry on plus a camera as carry on and I carry on a purse plus another bag?
Sandi
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

K&S, The luggage will be weighed at your departure point (Kansas City). They will be checked in all the way through to LAX.

On your return, if you come through LAX, they will be weighed again here. There are huge luggage scales at various locations throughout LAX for your benefit. Take advantage of these scales to find out if your luggage is within the weight guidelines. Don't wait until you're in the check-in line, only to have airline personnel tell you you're over the limit.

What we usually do is to pack an empty, rolled duffle bag for any souvenirs/gifts that we bring back home with us. It has saved us many, many times.

To answer your second question... yes, you can carry your purse, plus a carry-on(within airline limits). Your husband may carry his camera on board, as well.

Hope this site helps http://www.faa.gov/passengers/prepare_fly/baggage/

A'ndrea
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 AM

Great info. Have not flown since 2 weeks after 911. We had one too many pieces as we were doing a post cruise stay on St. Thomas. Luckily we got them all combined and barely under weight.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 AM

The restrictions don't bother me as long as they apply to everyone. Nothing is more annoying than sitting in your seat on the airplane patiently awaiting for the flight to get underway when, all of a sudden, they board... the carryon family from hell. Mother, father, and the kid who has the signs of screaming at 30,000 feet. They scurry about looking in every overhead bin in 20 rows to find a place to store their 6 carryons, 2 back packs, diaper bag, and an oversized baby carrier. Aaaaaarrrrgggghhh. Ok, I'm over it now. Sorry for the thread drift.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, fall, packing, ta