Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM

My husband and I are taking our first cruise on HAL to Alaska on the Amsterdam. Does anyone have info on what the cruise is like for a man in a wheelchair; can't stand ad all.
We have booked a "HH" cabin said to be wheelchair friendly, on the Lower Promenade deck. It has a window, but it is blocked.
I'd love to hear from anyone with experience in this. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Hi Brooke,

Sorry to be so slow in getting you a reply. Just found your post. HAL does a very good job with special needs. They cater to a more senior clientelle and get plenty of practice. If you're in HH, your cabin is the furthest aft on this ship. That's where the HC accessible cabin are located on that deck. You'll indeed have no view from your window but that's not a really big deal since you can go out on the same deck and get perfect view. You're on the right deck for easy access to the Promenade. Hope you have a wonderful time, let us know how you liked the ship, cabin, food/service and all the rest when you get back.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
We've done three cruises with HAL. While we didn't personally need wheelchair help, I've seen how wonderful the staff and crew were with folks who did - - -it was amazing to watch them assist a wheelchair into and out of a tender boat for transfer to shore.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 AM

I would agree with the last post. HA probably attracts more seniors with mobility issues than any other cruise line. On one of our HA cruises I used to joke that if I had the cane and walker concession I would be wealthy. But seriously, if you husband can use one of the electric scooters, this would be worthwhile on a ship. Otherwise, you will be fine with a wheelchair, keeping in mind that the ships are large and its a lot of pushing from one-end to the other (nearly 1000 feet). You also need to notify the cruise line of his disability since you would want to book one of the handicapped accessible cabins (they have better access to the bathroom).

Hank

Closed Thread