Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 02:19 PM

Hi

I am taking a cruise on 2/14 with the Zandaam and was wondering if someone could answer this question for me.

I have cruised one other time on the Grandeur of the Seas (RCCL) and I found that the formal nights were not as dressy as they describe them to be. There were an occasional couple or persons in formal wear but for the most part women were in dresses or skirts and men in jackets similar dressing to what one would wear to church.

I am not one who particularly cares for having to wear formal wear if not necessary because its a extra expense and something I will probably never wear anywhere else.

For those of you who have sailed with HAL esp. on the Zandaam, what did you find most people were wearing on formal nights? Men and women....

Also, have any of you sailed on both RCCL and HAL? If so, who did you feel had the best entertainment and best food?

Thanks so much for your input!

Tanya

Edit: Moved to Holland America Line forum. RF
Old 01-30-2004, 02:19 PM

Hi

I am taking a cruise on 2/14 with the Zandaam and was wondering if someone could answer this question for me.

I have cruised one other time on the Grandeur of the Seas (RCCL) and I found that the formal nights were not as dressy as they describe them to be. There were an occasional couple or persons in formal wear but for the most part women were in dresses or skirts and men in jackets similar dressing to what one would wear to church.

I am not one who particularly cares for having to wear formal wear if not necessary because its a extra expense and something I will probably never wear anywhere else.

For those of you who have sailed with HAL esp. on the Zandaam, what did you find most people were wearing on formal nights? Men and women....

Also, have any of you sailed on both RCCL and HAL? If so, who did you feel had the best entertainment and best food?

Thanks so much for your input!

Tanya

Edit: Moved to Holland America Line forum. RF
Old 01-30-2004, 02:28 PM

Tanya, I can't compare HAL and RCCL because I have not sailed on the latter. As far as formal nights go, though, HAL tends to be dressy, probably because their clientele is generally older on average. Unlike on Carnival, where we saw everything from sequins to cutoffs onboard on formal night (no cutoffs in the dining room, of course), formal night on HAL there were no casual dressers. You won't need a long gown and white gloves, but the norm is definitely fancier than what one would wear to church. If you can wear a nice pair of slacks with a glittery top and some sparkly costume jewelry, that would probably work fine; suits for men definitely on formal night, or at worst a sport jacket that closely matches his slacks - and of course he should wear a tie.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 AM

Tanya,
My wife and I spent our honeymoon on the Zaandam. Its a great ship but you can't compare HAL to RCCL. They are totally different. We have been on all the major lines. HAL in our opinion is our favorite line. The service, food and cabins are great. We espeically like fewer and the smaller ships that HAL gives. The formal nights are dressy but NOT over done. If you don't want to dress for the formal nights you can eat in the Lido Buffet which is excellent and you don't have to dress up. You might see some people in Tuxes but not many. On CCL and RCCL you will see more but like I said HAL formality is not over done. Hope this helps you out. Have a great cruise and let me know how you liked HAL. Oh by the way....HAL is not just a bunch of OLD people...I'm 43 and feel right at home on HAL.
Cruz
Old 02-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Banned

Tanya
Please let us all know what it was like when you get back. I have this ship in mind for my next cruise. Good luck, have fun and let us know what you think.
Tom

Old 12-11-2005, 09:48 PM

Tanya: I accompanied my wife and her 88 year old father on the Alaska cruise aboard the Zandaam. We had a marvelous time - even my father in law (who normally stays in bed and sleeps most of the days here with us) was alert, active and enjoyed himself for a whole week of good food, fabulous entertainment, and a wide range of activities. The
crew members (most of whom were from Indonesia) were all most helpful, friendly, and very talented. I only wish I had taken note of their e-mail or addresses. I would be curious to know if such information can be obtained about crew members on a ship. I tried to contact Holland America's office with this query but received no reply.
Have a great trip, Tanya!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 AM

Well,

given the fact that the original poster planned to cruise in February, 2004 (!) I guess no further advice is required as far as this cruise is concerned.

- closed -

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
formal, hal, halzandaam, night, nights, wear