Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 PM

WE are traveling in Sept for 20 days on the westerdam. WE have traveled the Rotterdam before and enjoyed it. Could anyone tell me if they have stayed on the main deck of the westerdam and if they liked it.Thanks
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 AM

I didn't stay on the main deck, but I did cruise on the Westerdam in November, and enjoyed it tremendously. (We were travelling in a Verandah Suite.) We'd previously cruised on the Rotterdam in 2002, and although the Westerdam is a larger ship - it still has the "intimate" feel of the Rotterdam due to its design.

From what I recall from my wandering around the ship at various times (I'm a ship fanatic, and tend to explore), the main deck is relatively quiet. Towards the end of the cruise, there's a bit of business at the front desk, but the people in line aren't making a lot of noise. The seating for the Vista lounge is located forward on Main deck (the main entrances are the two decks above)... so you won't see significant traffic entering the Vista lounge there, and I was actually down on that deck during a show, and you don't really hear too much noise from the show either. I'd likely avoid the front few cabins, though, just in case!!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM

I stayed on the Promenade deck on the Rotterdam, never stayed below walking deck before, I hope the window are full size and port holes! Thanks for your reply. Gail
Old 02-22-2007, 02:01 PM

I just returned from a 7-day Caribbean on the Westerdam. I was on Deck 4, Upper Verrandah, all the way forward. What I discovered each and every night was that I was right next door to the crew's "party room". There was music, noise, and smoke coming from said room from early evening (8-9 pm) til the wee hours of the morning (3:30 am). Ship management offered ear plugs, but would not put a stop the offending noise coming from the crew. Holland America's Head Office offered us a shipboard credit, which we really appreciated, but I was extremely disappointed with the ship's management and their unwillingness to make the noise stop at the request of a paying passenger.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, deck, holland, main, maindeck, noise, party, promenade, review, reviews, smoke, upper, verandahs, westerdam