Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 01:09 AM

We are going on the Prinsendam in June and only our second cruise, the first many years ago and only 3 days. So, I have some questions that I know people can help me with:
1) Now that it appears HAL has informal evenings where a tie and jacket aren't required, are Dockers for men acceptable dress? How about polo shirts? Short sleeve dress shirts vs. long sleeve?
2) How much is it to launder or dry clean a dress shirt on board? Slacks? Dress?
3) How much is a pass to get non alcoholic beverages.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 AM

Hi Culater
The only question I can answer is the cost of the SODA drink card (10 sodas), $20.70 without tax. If you go to the HAL website, For Booked Guest" tab, Order Gifts, you can per-order and per-pay for a variety of things.
Happy Cruising!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

As long as you look presentable, you're welcome in the dining room. Even on the so called formal nights, not every one is formal (although, I recommend it just for the fun).
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The only question I can answer is the cost of the SODA drink card (10 sodas), $20.70 without tax. If you go to the HAL website, For Booked Guest" tab, Order Gifts, you can per-order and per-pay for a variety of things.
Happy Cruising!
That seems high. On the Carnival Spirit you could buy sodas all day long for $1.75 each. $5.50 a day for the soda card. I guess each line does it different.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Effective in May 07 there will be strict dinner attire for main dining. Pull up holland america and you will see this posted
We cruised the Volendam 10days April 07 Panama partial transit.
Formal night attire varied. many men wore suits, to jackets with dockers or other style dress pants. Jackets were required.
Would recommend laundry service loved it. I chose to pay for the duration of the cruise unlimited service for $100. Service i chose was for washing or just ironing, to choice with starch,no starch, to be on hangers or folded. you will recieve a laundry bag daily. Laundry was picked up in the evening returned within 24 hrs. Tip if you call daily for pick up before 9:00am you will recieve next day.
Tip ask for the beverage cards they are not advertised or usually offered.
Soda cards range in $ amounts. It is worth it. Coke costs $2.50 per can. Half the cost if buy cards same with sodas. Coffee cards are also offered, . If you drink the same goes for the cocktail cards. 20 cocktails were about $60, if not it was almost $7 a drink. Wine cards are also available
Tip look on Holland America site go to on board ship purchases. There you can get an idea of what you can purchase when onboard.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM

As far as dining room dress code, HAL and Cunard are the most formal of cruise lines. You may well be allowed in the dining room with Dockers and a jacket but may feel a little under-dressed one this paticuler line. My recommendetion would be go ahead and play dress up for HAL and do it to the nines. Next time if you don't like playing dress up on vacation try Norwegian or somewhere in-between Carnival, RCCL, Princess or many others.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I purchased a soda card on the Zuiderdam in October - $20 for 16 or 18 sodas (can't remember which)
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Posted May 14, 2007 01:01 PM Hide Post
I
How do they serve the soda? In cans, small glass, large glass?
BTW the Holland site for the Zaandam list a card for $20.70 that buys 20 sodas.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

We have sailed HAL many many times..the Formal nights you may want to wear a dark suit - Hence its Formal Attire which a dark suit really isn't formal attire. Formal attire is actually a tux. On the casual nights Dockers and a dress shirt will be fine. However if you don't want to wear a suit or jacket...you can eat in the Lido which the food is every bit as good as the dining room. And usually its much quieter and relaxing.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Sodas come in cans with the soda card. I bought the card but found we were off ship so much I didnt use it all but it was cheaper than purchasing one at a time. I took soda on with me at the ports.

Closed Thread