Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 AM

Hello everyone.

I'm taking my wife on the Zuiderdams Oct 8th, West Car Cruise for her 40th Birthday. She's always wanted to cruise, and I've resisted until now; I couldn't see myself lasting a week with the small rooms. We have a category SS Superior Verandah Suite on the Navigation Deck -- I hope that is a good choice... I think it's SS8082.

I must say I was a bit skeptical of my choice (being our first cruise), until I read your reviews... Thanks! I will post an honest review following our trip. Following our trip, we're scheduled for a week at the Disney Beach Club resort, so if the cruise doesn't work out - hopefully Disney will make up for it...

I requested a table for two at the 8:00 hour - After reading the review by Steve, I wonder if I should double check our table location?

Three questions:
Anyone else traveling on the Zuiderdam on Oct 8th?
Have they upgraded the bedding in the rooms yet?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Dennis
Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 AM

Hello everyone.

I'm taking my wife on the Zuiderdams Oct 8th, West Car Cruise for her 40th Birthday. She's always wanted to cruise, and I've resisted until now; I couldn't see myself lasting a week with the small rooms. We have a category SS Superior Verandah Suite on the Navigation Deck -- I hope that is a good choice... I think it's SS8082.

I must say I was a bit skeptical of my choice (being our first cruise), until I read your reviews... Thanks! I will post an honest review following our trip. Following our trip, we're scheduled for a week at the Disney Beach Club resort, so if the cruise doesn't work out - hopefully Disney will make up for it...

I requested a table for two at the 8:00 hour - After reading the review by Steve, I wonder if I should double check our table location?

Three questions:
Anyone else traveling on the Zuiderdam on Oct 8th?
Have they upgraded the bedding in the rooms yet?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Dennis
Old 08-30-2005, 06:42 PM

I guess I picked the wrong topics to write about.. Lots of Views, no Replies.

I sent HAL the same questions and here are their answers:

Questions:
Q: Could I request a table for two at the 8:00 hour.
A: "At this time, you are on the waitlist for the main dining, upper level. In addition, the tables are not actually assigned until the first day of the cruise. We do have a limited number of tables for two available. However, we do have your request for a table for two on file."

Q: Have they upgraded the bedding in the rooms yet?
A: "The new bedding is supposed to be on board in the Fall of 2005. We do not have a "specific" date. You are welcome to call Ship Services to see if they know if this will be completed before your cruise. The telephone number you should call is 1-800-541-1576."

-Dennis
Old 08-30-2005, 06:53 PM

I forgot one:

Q: I am planning to bring a bottle of my wifeís favorite wine and champagne; is this okay?

A: "If you would like to consume your own wine or champagne at dinner, a $15 per bottle corkage fee will be charged to your onboard account. Corkscrews are not provided in passenger staterooms. You will need to contact your cabin steward for assistance and glasses."

Dennis

First time out....

__ /8__/8__/8__/8___
\:::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-01-2005, 10:48 PM

I have no experience with wine or champagne but they ignored my plastic bags filled with bottles of diet coke. I always bring large plastic glasses when we travel because I don't like the dinky ones supplied by cruise ships and hotels.

They said you couldn't consume your own wine or champagne at dinner, operative word is "dinner". They didn't say anything about consuming it in your room or on your balcony. You have to think like a teenager.

What's the worst they can do if they see wine in your checked bags? Spank your hand? Take it away until the end of the cruise? I'm stuck on the corkscrew though. Maybe you could purchase it at the first port and throw it away before your flight home.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM

A few thoughts,

I have sailed the Zuiderdam Twice and I would suggest the following:

If you are interested in various small passenger participation shows take the earlier seating as the there are several 7:45 shows that are fun to either participate in or watch. For example, the newlywed and not so newlywed show along with game show mania. Also, the Karioke(sp) starts as dinner ends on another night.

I brought on board several 6 packs of 20oz. bottles of soda. I also brought on two bottles of wine which I consumed in the room. Getting a cork screw remover was easy. Beer however is not allowed on board. They take it and return it to you on Friday.

The late night comedy show with Julie Barr is terrific. Dont miss it.

In the Lido, get your table first, especially on "at sea" days before you get the food.

The showroom is not well designed as there are polls you will have to look around so get there as early as possible to get too seats.

Enjoy your cruise as my wife and I enjoy this ship a great deal.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Hi Denbo,

We're going to be on the same cruise as you guys. It will be myself (39), my husband (47 as of cruise time) and 4 teenagers ranging from 17-19 (two ours, the other two friends of our kids). We Have been looking forward to the trip, doing a little shopping and a lot of reading of reviews, things to do, etc.

We are not hard core cruisers (only have taken one 3 day trip in the past) and the kids have never been. This is a last big blow out for the family before they get too grown and involved in life outside of parents. However, saying this, looking forward to some nice fun time without kids as they will be involved in their own activities.

We too are going to be taking some wine on board, so hoping it won't be confiscated.

Here's hoping for a fantastic trip. And who knows, maybe we'll get to say Hi!

Deborah and Trace
Old 09-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the note Deborah.

Can you believe it's only 20 days until we cruise!!!! We are pumped.

We're flying from the Seattle area, and plan to hit Costco for wine before we cruise. I know this sounds like I'm a tight-wad, but I can't see paying $40+ for a bottle of wine when I can get it at Costco for $12.

We have two boys ourselves; 12 & 16. They are meeting us directly following the cruise for a week at Disney where Iím speaking at a conference.

I hope we hook up, if only for a cup of coffee.

-Dennis

__ /10__/8__/2005
\:::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Costco and Target are my best friends when it comes to wine. They allow us to try so many more varieties and the price kicks a@@. We have 5 bottles already bought this last Saturday which we're hoping to take on board.

I have read various blurbs on bringing on the alcohol, but the worst case is: they take it and give it back to us at the end of the cruise and if that's the case> Wine tasting party back home!!

20 days and counting down! How long have you guys had reservations? We have only had them about 3 weeks now. As per our sign in name, we had previous reservations with Carnival, but our ship was one of the ones commandeered for evacuees in New Orleans. Alas, we scrambled for another and BAM here we are! This cruise sounds really so much better and is 7 days instead of 5. 4 ports instead of 2, so no complaints.

Take care,

Deborah
Old 09-20-2005, 09:28 PM

I agree with the wine-gig, if it doesn't work out no worries...

As for your change in plans, I bet you'll be happy with HAL. From what I've read, I think it's a better bet.

We've had reservations for since May. I have quite the tale on getting discount tickets; If anyone's interested...

We should plan a cruise-chat coffee time?

Dennis

Closed Thread