Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Why so few ships visiting Ocho Rio's? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/1619-why-so-few-ships-visiting-ocho-rios.html)

peeksdad 09-01-2009 09:58 AM

In years past almost every Western Caribbean cruise stopped at Ocho Rio. Now only a few ships stop there, Why? Now most Western Caribbean cruises stop in Roatan, Belize or Costa Maya instead of Ocho Rio. I enjoy the new ports but Jamacia had a different flair and was a change from the other ports; the new ports are all very simular and three in a row (when you count Cozumel) can be a little boring. Just my personal view.

Peeksdad

Fun

Dave 09-01-2009 10:19 AM

I believe there are fewer ships doing the western itinerary during the summer these days, but they are larger. Although fewer ships stop at Ocho Rios, they are all very large - pretty much the equivalent of twice the number of ships from a few years ago from a passenger loading perspective. Looking at the port schedule for Ocho in September, there are 11 ships calling, with the smallest being the Carnival Destiny at 3360 passengers, and the largest are both Freedom class RCI ships at 4375. This all adds up to 43,000 possible cruise passengers for the month, or the same as 20 or so 2000 passenger ships.

But enough statistics. Other ports have developed more, while Ocho has been stagnant as far as things to do for a while. Having ports close to each other, such as Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize, means more fuel efficiency for the ship. And the major sticking point for a lot of repeat cruisers is we are weary of the hassles one encounters in Jamaica.

I also looked at the fall schedules and 16 ships stop there in October and November - which reflects Princess returning to the Caribbean for the winter and spring.

f-mattox 09-01-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Jamacia had a different flair and was a change from the other ports
This is most certainly true and correct; I was there once and I'm glad I got to see it first hand. And if I am ever again on a ship that stops at Ocho Rios I will be enjoying the peace and quiet onboard.

penny3333 09-02-2009 07:03 AM

I've ported in Kingston, Montego, and Ocho(4). I love the Jamaican people and food, however, I have never, ever felt safe there. I don't know if it's just their aggression because there are other ports that are aggressive, but I still feel safe. I can't put my finger on it, but really feel it is a gold mine there. If they'd just get it together, it would be a great island.

drlivingston 10-24-2009 12:23 PM

People have a love/hate relationship with Jamaica. I, for one, hate the little country. SOME of the people are beautiful but most of them remind me of their food... JERK. Yes, I am aware that many of my posts are controversial but I believe that people come here for information and honesty. I would only speak badly of a country if I, myself, had a negative experience within its borders. I have had several but I have vowed that will never happen again as I will never disembark on their shores any more.

MiamiSpartan 01-21-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by f-mattox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jamacia had a different flair and was a change from the other ports
This is most certainly true and correct; I was there once and I'm glad I got to see it first hand. And if I am ever again on a ship that stops at Ocho Rios I will be enjoying the peace and quiet onboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on this one...We had a nice time, but doubt we would get off the ship on future trips....4 times is enough for us...

alfred 01-23-2010 06:08 AM

I was not of the ship for more than 20 minutes before being offered illegal drugs. If I did not see it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Decided to take a walk to the shopping complex not far from where we docked (Big Mistake)and had a crowd of vendors walking with me and my family. Did get a great buy on a watch though. Hired a car for the 3 blocks back to the ship (suggested by the jewelery store where I made the purchase)for security purposes. Yea I will stay on the ship next time.