Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 07:52 PM

We are sailing on the Oosterdam from Ft Lauderdale on Dec. 12. We didn't book our air travel through HAL so assume we'll need to get a taxi to the airport? My real question is.... since our flight is at 12:00 pm and the HAL booklet says we get in at 8:00 and it MAY take 2 to 3 hours to disembark, are we running the risk of being late to the airport? We are in a Deluxe Suite. Don't know if that helps getting off sooner.

My thinking was that we should use the cell phone to call a taxi to get to the airport faster than just depending on a shuttle.... and can we even take a shuttle if we havent purchased a transfer?

JUDY
Old 12-06-2004, 07:52 PM

We are sailing on the Oosterdam from Ft Lauderdale on Dec. 12. We didn't book our air travel through HAL so assume we'll need to get a taxi to the airport? My real question is.... since our flight is at 12:00 pm and the HAL booklet says we get in at 8:00 and it MAY take 2 to 3 hours to disembark, are we running the risk of being late to the airport? We are in a Deluxe Suite. Don't know if that helps getting off sooner.

My thinking was that we should use the cell phone to call a taxi to get to the airport faster than just depending on a shuttle.... and can we even take a shuttle if we havent purchased a transfer?

JUDY
Old 12-06-2004, 08:36 PM

The day of disembarkation, they do it based on flight times. The night before debarkation they will give you color coded luggage tags and that's how they get you off the ship. The airport is only a few miles from the port and there are always plenty of taxis available at the port. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting one. The other thing with calling for a taxi, there are only licensed taxi's that are allowed to pick up at the port... kind of like at the airports.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Banned

From my experience it is usually based on flight times, and cabin grade. On Carnival passengers could take their luggage off the ship themselves if they had their own transpotation. This saved time of looking for it and they were able to be in the first group off. This can be a problem if you have a lot of luggage because it is usually a long distance from the ship to the exit area. Calling for a cab would be useless because there is a taxi line.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:03 PM

They will offer to let people with early flights to disembark before anyone else, as far as a taxi or shuttle, good luck its a rat race when you disembark, first come first serve.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:16 PM

You have several advantages - the Deluxe Suite may possibly help with disembarkation; you got a good suggestion about saving time by taking your own luggage instead of letting the crew take it off (don't leave it outside your cabin the last night if you want to do this); and the airport and cruise port are not far apart in Ft. Lauderdale, so the ride is not long.

If you wish, you can purchase a transfer from the ship to the airport onboard (do it a day or more before the cruise is over), but you may be just as well off with a cab.

Have a great cruise!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Banned

We have used the cruise lines' shuttle (Carnival) in Miami and were not happy with it. Our flight got in at 9:30 and we had to wait in the airport until noon to get on the bus. Leaving we were the first off the ship at 9:00 and sat on the bus at the pier until 11:30. We had to wait for the bus to fill and then apparently waited until they got a call from the airport that there was a full bus of people waiting. We got to the airport at 11;45, and had to make various stops for the different air lines. Now I know why we had to wait until noon when we were comming in. We then had to wait until the driver got the baggage unloaded before we could get off. He had the door locked. He then stood by the door with his hand out for a TIP. After checking in we got in the security line. The line was very, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooong and not moving. The airport is very hectic. We were not going to make it thru for our 1:30 flight. My wife was having a nervous fit and getting a headache. The airline finally started to page for passengers on flights that were leaving and took them thru another line. Our flight number was called. When we got to the front the screener said we had to get there earlier. I told them that they need to get with the cruise line because we sat on the pier until 11:30. I don't know why the cruise line has to frugal with the busses because the airport is not that far a way. We probalbly could have walked there faster. I have not used a cab there but I think it would be better and cheaper than the bus.

It is smart to make plans in advance but don't let the end of you trip worry you before you start. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
1240, barelona, catch, cruise, early, flight, taxi