Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Hi There,

We have just booked our first cruise on the Westerdam in March!! We are going from Ft. Lauderdale, to Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Half Moon Cay. I think our biggest questions are:
1. What is the best defence against seasickness?
2. Does anyone have recommendations on some Shore Excursions that are better than others?
3. Is it better to book them before hand or book them on our own once we get there?
4. Any other advice for us??

Thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Hi There,

We have just booked our first cruise on the Westerdam in March!! We are going from Ft. Lauderdale, to Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Half Moon Cay. I think our biggest questions are:
1. What is the best defence against seasickness?
2. Does anyone have recommendations on some Shore Excursions that are better than others?
3. Is it better to book them before hand or book them on our own once we get there?
4. Any other advice for us??

Thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:49 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Windancer:
We just came from Costa Maya on a cruise. A big waste of time. It's nothing more than a clearing for tourists to "bargain" hunt in bright colored buildings. Beyond that is a mess. Save yourself money and stay on the ship that day. The only thing I could think of would be to visit the ruins. We took the dune buggies and went to a beach south of town and it was trashed. Have a great sail otherwise. We have never found the need for sea sickness medicine. Some go around with patches behind their ears...can always tell the first time cruisers who have the patches. Mainly....calm with slight movement which is rather soothing.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 PM

On the other hand, if you take an excursion while along the Costa Maya to either Chichen Itza or Tulum, you can see the ruins of a Mayan city, complete with temple. If you have never seen the American continents' ancient past, this is a great opportunity. If it's your first cruise and first trip there, I'd recommend signing up with the ship's shore excursion desk (and do it before the cruise if you can - those can be popular and may be full by the sail date). It may cost a little more, but it's a trek (an hour or so to Tulum, a couple hours to Chichen Itza) and you want to be sure to be back at the ship in time - if you aren't, but are on a ship's organized excursion, they will wait for you.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks! My husband and I were married in the Mayan in 04, and we did go see Tulum then. Chichen Itza sounds pretty cool, although I heard the best time to go there is at night. We were kinda thinking the 4x4 All Terrain Expedition???
Old 02-01-2006, 06:23 AM

Half moon is great, fantastic except there is minimal shade. For $9 reserve a clam shell. There are a limited amount of them so the moment you get on board run, dont walk to the excursion desk and reserve a clam shell. You will be glad you did!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM

You certainly have to do Sting Ray City at Grand Cayman. I have been on six cruises and swimming with the stingrays was the best. You can reserve a clamshell on the HAL web site before you go for Half Moon Cay. You can also reserve your excursions as well. I have done three cruises with HAL and I am in my fifties and enjoy the atmosphere of the HAL ships. I am not a party animal and like to get to bed at a decent hour in order to get up early to enjoy the shore excursions. If you like to party stick to Carnival.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 PM

for the sea sickness you can either get the patch as a prescription from the dr(which my sister did) or buy some non drowsy dramamine. dramamine always helps me with my motion sickness and have heard it helps others.

Closed Thread