Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 04:38 PM

We are sailing Dec. 16th on the Veendam out of Tampa. Since I booked my room I phoned back and upgraded to a Veranda Suite. We are signed up to go on Stingray Observatory and Island Drive in Grand Cayman along with the Atlantis Submarine. In Jamica we opted for Dolphin Cove and Dunn's Fall. I was wondering if anybody has sailed the Veendam and if anybody has been on these excursions. We are also stopping in Costa Maya and don't have any plans yet. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:53 PM

My wife and I took your cruise last easter. Grand cayman I rented a car and we toured the island. I also arranged for a trip to Stingray city with a private company. about 20 guests on the boat. It was great. My wife held stringrays and we snorkled at one othe stop. the cost of renting the car and our excursion was less than the cost of the stingray city excursion from the ship would have been for the both of us. I'm a little adventuresome but not too. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road is challenging. In Jamacia we took a ships excursion down a river on a raft. It was OK but the raft drivers try to sell you their carvings and they are quit pushy(wouldn't do it again) Jamacia feels uncomfortable(scary) many armed police even in riot gear. this is the second time we've stopped in Jamacia and if again we will probably choose to stay on board. Costa Maya has this long pier that leads to an area of resturants and shops. there is a beach area but other than that this is in the middle of nowhere. We took the ships excursion to Mayan ruins. A long drive but worth it. Very interesting and a guided tour at the ruins. They have a wonderful piano bar. If Randall Powell is at the piano, he is wonderful. Very talented, plays musical games with guests and has great getups.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Thanks Bill for getting back to me. I was in Jamaica years ago on Paqut Cruise Lines on the Statendam they purchased from HAL. I hated it because we docked at a wharf at Ocho Rios and the people were all over my ex-wife and I trying to sell us drugs and sex. I opted for the tour with the boat this time and hopefully we dock at the cruise dock. Debbie is a a first time cruiser and wants to shop on the islands and I shudder at the fact but I have to grin and bear it.

Closed Thread

Tags
armed, costa, maya, pier, police