Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Administrator

I am absolutely thrilled to hear this news!

The full press release is located here. It's long, so I've provided excerpts below:

Holland America Line Returning to Bermuda Roundtrip Cruises from New York City to Start in 2010

Seattle, WA, August 30, 2008 - Beginning in 2010, Holland America Line will once again sail on regularly scheduled cruises between New York City and Bermuda. Holland America is the only major cruise line that calls on both Hamilton and St. George's, Bermuda's cultural and shopping hubs. Additionally, guests of Holland America Line will have an opportunity to fully experience Bermuda's British charm and its unique island culture by day and by night with multi-day stays in each port.

When the 1,350-guest ms Veendam sails in late August 2010 on the first of 10 roundtrips to the island, it will mark Holland America Line's return to New York City as a home port and to Bermuda as a destination.

"Veendam is ideal for this itinerary," Meadows noted. "She is a premium mid-size ship, the perfect size to navigate the narrow entrances to the harbors in Hamilton and St. George's. Veendam's guests are able to step off the ship right in the center of each town. Ships larger than Veendam must tie up at the Dockyard facility a considerable distance from both towns.

In addition to the ten sailings between late August and October in 2010, Holland America Line will visit the island and its towns for a full season beginning in May the following year, with 20 or more sailings anticipated.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 PM

I am also very happy to hear this good news. I love cruising to Bermuda and plan to be onboard in 2010!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 PM

I hae never sailed on Holland America..How do they compare to RC and NCL?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Hi kny and mrpw, and welcome to cruise-chat.com

I haven't been on Royal Caribbean in many years, so I can't comment on that. But HAL is very different from NCL, mainly as HAL is a more traditional line. For example, suits and ties (and the occasional tuxedo, depending on the itinerary) are the norm for the gentlemen on formal nights. HAL offers fixed dining times, although they have also implemented an As You Wish Dining program...pax select one or the other when booking. The mood on HAL is more reserved than on NCL, meaning that you won't find a ton of organized activities, although there are certainly enough to keep you busy.

Keep in mind that, like on any line, there are also different "feels" to the different ships. HAL's Vista class ships, for instance, are large, whereas the more traditional S-class ships (such as Veendam) are approximately 55K gross tons and carry just 1300 pax.

I like both lines, but for very different reasons.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, bermuda, city, cruise, cruises, dates, holand, holland, line, newyork, ny, review, reviews, sailings, york