Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Hello,

Just returned from the Ryndam 3/23 to 4/2 cruise to Mexico. I wrote a note and gave extra compensation to 4 crew members who provided excellent service. I did not tell them that this was in addition to the mandatory amount deducted from our ship board account. My question is...will these crew members know that we paid the mandatory $10.00 per day and the evelope money was extra? Or will
they think that the extra amount was the only gratuity that my wife and I provided? And to make sure, if you sail on the Ryndam please find I.G., who is an Assistant dining room manager (a tall, handsome young man with a 10,000 watt smile) and please tell him that he, Sur, Alip, and Cabin Steward Joko should get our mandatory plus the extra money that I gave them in the evelope on April 1, from Mr and Mrs. Ruby who sat at table 160, second seating.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 PM

It is my understanding that the crew get a list with the passengers name and cabin number of those who paid gratuities through the onboard accounts.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I had a lot of fun with the dining room crew, especially Sur, who is one of the very best waiters we have had. He is also a truly nice person, and very competent.

Fred
Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 AM

It has been many years since I was on the Ryndam but I was wondering if a gentleman from Holland still works on that ship. His name was Georges Caas. Very handsome. Tall with reddish blonde hair. I'm not sure what he did as far as a job on the ship. Maybe a host or something....Anyways, he was very nice!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
As I noted in another posting somewhere, per the Purser's office on the Zuiderdam, any gratuities over and above that already on the shipboard account, is still to be added to the "gratuity pot" for all staff. If you really want to help your staff, a note or letter of praise is greatly appreciated. Staff seemed to be extra alert and sensitive to any seeming mis-steps or problems, with some commenting as to repercusions on poor or bad service. Next cruise, we will be sure to hand our cash directly to the person we want to have it - and let him and/or her know how much we appreciate their hard work (especially on HAL - they have to have the hardest working staff at sea!)
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM

We just had our extra tips directly to the people we want them to go to. This insures they are the ones that get them.

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, compensation, crew, cruise, entire, extra, members, pay, photo, ryndam, ship, triumph