Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

If you booked 8 weeks out, you would definitely be beyond final payment, which is 76 days for HAL. Yet, what confused me was when the HAL representative said that "as people have to start paying their balances...the 6:00 seat would open up," and when your travel agency said that they expect cancellations to start coming in a week.

Back to dining: I just cruised with HAL, but on Ryndam, which is a much smaller ship than Eurodam. The way As You Wish Dining (AWYD) worked on HAL was pretty much how Penny described Princess' Personal Choice. Pax who had AWYD could make reservations (instructions will be provided to you), or just show up at the dining room between the times designated. (On our cruise, it was between 5:15 and 9:30.) BTW, we did traditional dining, so the above is from a letter we all got in our cabins that explained the AWYD program. Things probably work a little differently on Eurodam as it is more geared toward this concept than the other ships in the fleet, but that's the general idea.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Hi Lisa- I don't know either...seems if people cancel by not paying their final payment or as this TA said the tA's have to "give back" their unsold block of rooms they had...then this would open more seating at 6pm...anyway HAL told me this morning I can call the TA today and tell her to change our reservations to AYWD and I think we'll give it a try...let you know how it goes!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM

I think you'll like it. We usually go down around 6:15-6:30, there doesn't seem to be any lines. We always tell them we want to share a table because we do want to meet others. The good news is, if you don't like them, you don't have to sit with them the rest of the cruise. If you do like them, you can always make arrangements to sit together again. Let me know what you think when you return. Sure wish I were going with you!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Penny- we'll give it a try. Did you go down in the morning and make a reservation or did you just show up at the door. We are 4 adults so it's not like we won't have anyone to talk to!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cousins:
HAL cruise booked and paid for but we are being told their is no 6:00 seats in the main dining room and no 8:00 seats either. The waiting list for 6pm is full so we are now on an 8:00 seating- waiting list ....
We have never had this problem before on other cruise lines! I'm not paying all this $$$ for the Eurodam to eat in the cafeteria!
HAs anyone ever heard of this????
We have sailed with HAL on 8 previous cruises, and anytime we have had confirmed seating, it has been honored. We also have had better luck the earlier we book than booking closer to the departure date. We have requested specific seating a few times and been waitlisted for our preferences (late seating, table for 2, lower dining room, etc), but never totally waitlisted at all. Are you sure you are completely waitlisted for any seating or just waitlisted for your preferred seating?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Cousins, I've done it both ways. I've called to get a reservation and just walked in. We've not had to wait more than a few minutes to get seated. The dining room will get really busy around 7:00-7:30. If you go before or after, you shouldn't have any trouble getting seated. They will give you a pager, if there is a wait, and you can go to a lounge or the shops or the photo gallery, and they will page you when your table is ready. We, personally, have not had to do that, but have heard it takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes from those that have had to wait. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 AM
We changed our seating with our TA to Anytime dining and look forward to eating "early" thanks Penny for the tips, help, and encouragement.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

I'm glad to hear it worked out, cousins. When you get to your cabin, look for the information sheet on As Your Wish Dining, which will spell out everything you need to know for your specific sailing. I hope you enjoy HAL as much as we do!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:14 PM

HA had been experimenting with various dining arrangements on various ships (its not necessarily the same on each ship). Recently they seem to have settled on using a combination of their standard Early and Main (late sitting) as well as an anytime dining option (similar to what has been done on Princess for years. The fact that both fixed sittings are in wait list status does not mean you cannot dine in the main dining room. It simply means you would not have an assigned table or dining time and you would simply show-up during the appropriate time frame (such as from 6 - 8) and the maitre'd will seat you at a table. Personally, we love this option (have reserved it on our upcoming 26 day Noordam cruise) because we love the flexibility. We just show-up when we want to eat and usually ask the maitre'd to put us at a large table (we love meeting new folks). On many cruises we have found that after a few days we make a lot of new friends and often form our own table.

Hank
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree...we look forward to our first expirence in dining this way!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, dinner, hal, late, princess, reviews, seating, waiting, waitlisted