Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
HAL cruise booked and paid for but we are being told their is no 6:00 seats in the main dining room and no 8:00 seats either. The waiting list for 6pm is full so we are now on an 8:00 seating- waiting list ....
We have never had this problem before on other cruise lines! I'm not paying all this $$$ for the Eurodam to eat in the cafeteria!
HAs anyone ever heard of this????
Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM

This is very common to be waitlisted. Don't worry you will have a seat. If you don't get the time you prefer then talk to the Maitre'd on the first day about changing.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

They have to sit you in the main dining room - either at an assigned seating or with the "As You Wish" dining option. However, my understanding was they weren't forcing people in the anytime option and would accommodate anyone who wanted assigned seating.

You won't be banished to the Lido Restaurant.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Hi Shari. It's good to see you again.

Having returned from a HAL cruise about a month ago, I assure you that you'll have a seat in the main dining room. Dave is correct that, at a minimum, you will be given the "As You Wish" dining option. It is also likely that you will get the time for which you are waitlisted. I was told that the waitlist is sometimes used to determine how many tables they need to set aside for traditional dining in the AYW area.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Lisa- haven't cruised in a year (withdraws) so I haven't been on line in a while. Loved the Canada NE cruise you helped us with...no regrets!
Anyway, this Eastern Carribbean cruise we booked for the first time with an on-line company (for the first time-not sure if we can name names) Our person told us that even the wait list was full. We threatened to cancel, which we were told there would be a penalty from HAL if we did so. Anyway she could not guarantee us that we would have a seat in the dining room....
So, I called HAL directly and the gentleman said he had us with our other party at an 8:00 seating. Not my first choice, but if I was guaranteed a seat that was all I cared about. We were told as the agencies had to release unsold cabins, and as people have to start paying their balances that 6:00 seat would open up....so maybe in 2 weeks we can try for a 6pm seating.
Nice to talk to you again- see you're a big-wig now! (administrator...as you should be, you know your stuff)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi cousins; maybe I'm missing something here; but I've never heard of a waitlist being full! How does that work? And when has a passenger ever been denied a seat in a dining room?

I think you need to find a new travel agent.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Hi cousins; maybe I'm missing something here; but I've never heard of a waitlist being full! How does that work? And when has a passenger ever been denied a seat in a dining room?

I think you need to find a new travel agent.
Yep, it's time for a more informed TA. It's impossible to have both early & late seating's both full. Your TA is misunderstanding the cruise line.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Anyway she could not guarantee us that we would have a seat in the dining room....
This is the line that jumped out at me, and I agree with the others that you should try a different TA next time. There is no way this statement can be true. Also, I don't understand how there can be a cancellation penalty from HAL if final payment is yet to be due? The penalty she spoke of was likely from her agency, but not from HAL. And, it would have been a real pity had you cancelled based on the misinformation she provided about the dinner seatings.

I'm glad you came here to get the real scoop, yet this "TA" needs to learn a thing or two. I know this is the first time you used her, but I wouldn't return. You might want to consider dealing with her supervisor for your subsequent calls on this booking.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi cousins, that is how we were introduced to Anytime Dining with Princess. We wanted late seating but it was full. We were 196 on the wait list, so I knew it was a slim to none chance. They did, however, give us a seat for the main seating. We really did not want to do main seating because we didn't have to rush back from excursions. They offered us the Personal Choice option and we took it. We really like the option now. You don't get the same wait staff each evening, but you do get to meet more people on board. We now book Personal Choice for our cruises. You might want to give it a try. We did and were very pleased.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I tell you the truth...the reservation was made on line after seeing the price on their website. So when we called who ever answered the phone I guess became our "TA". Don't know the girl personally...but she did say we were in the "penalty phase" and it was NOT from them but from HAL. We paid in full when we booked because the cruise was in 8 weeks from that day. Anyway, she said there was NO GUARANTEE that we would get a seat in the main dining room, so I told her then we wouldn't go because that's ridiculous. Also said we have 3 business days to cancel any purchase like this and/or I'd just tell VISA not to pay it. So she said in a week when cancellations come in something might open up. This is when I called directly to HAL and they had us in the computer for 8pm seating. I received my confirmation in the mail today from _____________.com and it says dining: waitlist. The gentleman with HAL said we are guaranteed a spot. He said they actually have two early seatings two late and another option which I'm not sure what that was- maybe the one Penny was talking about but I'm not sure how it works. Like I said I've never cruised with HAL before so I don't know their system.
Thank you so much for looking out for the sister!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, dinner, hal, late, princess, reviews, seating, waiting, waitlisted