Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Leaving tomorrow for Seattle and boarding the Noordam Sunday morning bound for Alaska. We're also bring a laptop to stay in touch. We have Verizon National Broadband.
Am I correct thinking that if I found a "hot spot" for my verizon to talk to itself, I don't have to pay for the internet offered through the ship?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM

It was I who posted the first question on this site and as I now understand it, no matter what, you have to pay thru' the ship's satellite connections. I assume they sell the password. Their mention of hot spots on their site is misleading, I believe.

Good luck. At least you should be able to use it on shore if you're lucky. Our cruise isn't until January so it will be good to hear about your experiences.

Others confirmed that it's best to compose off line and then simply cut and paste which should require less satellite time.

Enjoy a wonderful holiday,

Ruth
Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Thank you Ruth
I'll let you know how things work for me.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 AM

Oh, I guess I missed Magictam as he leaves tomorrow. But the "hot spot" basically is the wireless connection available in that specific spot. So for you to connect to any internet no matter what your service happens to be, you need a wireless connection first. When you get your computer Ruth, and it has built in wireless, you will be able to connect to wireless connections available to you. Some of those are free to connect to, but most you have to pay for or be member and have paid a monthly or annual fee. But watch out for the free connections, because most of the time they are not secure. This means that you may be able to connect to the internet for free, but your computer is susceptible to catching viruses or your security is compromised so information might be "hacked" by others. I'm sorry if this sounds complicated but something you should know about. Ask the salesperson to explain more. Like everything else, you have to watch it when something is "free".
Old 08-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Thanks Culater,
We've pretty well decided to splurge and use the ship's internet and our new laptop as a word processor only.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Just returned from a wonderful vacation to Alaska on the MS Noordam. It was great!
On the first day I inquired the exploration cafe' (where the computers are located) about internet usuage in regards to using my Verizon card or the ship's internet. I was that if I was unable to pick up the verizon signle then I could use the ships internet for a fee.
I was able to pick up Verizon's signel at every port we stopped and a few miles to and from those ports.
When I was unable to pick up the signal at sea, I would write what I wanted in a word document and then later copy it into an email and send it before I went a shore or returning from shore.
I never once paid for HAl's internet service.
Happy Cruising All.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Welcome home Magictam, and thanks for taking the time to tell of your wireless experience.

As I said earlier we've decided to splurge and use the ship's service as we have long stretches at sea -- 4 and 6 days and my husband chose to just have put on his laptop the programmes he'd need on a cruise. We're retired and so can rely on our home highspeed for most of our needs. Messages home while on a cruise will have to be costs factored in to the overall costs,

These exchanges have been an education for me and I hope for others who might read them in the future.

Thanks one and all,

Ruth

Closed Thread

Tags
america, areas, computer, cost, definition, holland, hot, hotspots, location, meaning, ms, ryndam, wifi, wireles, wireless