Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 AM

As a newcomer to this site I just read some of the older posting and noted mixed and often very negative tales of sewage problems on the Ryndam in '06. We've booked a 30 day cruise in cabin 802EE in Jan. '08.

Has anyone out there sailed on it more recently? Best of all has anyone used this cabin? Has the problem been solved or are there lingering 'smells'?

I read with interest the Purell chain of Emails. No amount of Purell could alleviate the challenges of a blocked toilet or brown water for hand washing!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might reply.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 AM

As a newcomer to this site I just read some of the older posting and noted mixed and often very negative tales of sewage problems on the Ryndam in '06. We've booked a 30 day cruise in cabin 802EE in Jan. '08.

Has anyone out there sailed on it more recently? Best of all has anyone used this cabin? Has the problem been solved or are there lingering 'smells'?

I read with interest the Purell chain of Emails. No amount of Purell could alleviate the challenges of a blocked toilet or brown water for hand washing!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might reply.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM

I sailed the Ryndam last August-September and we had absolutely no problems whatsoever. When I had read about it here on Cruise-Chat I personally called Holland-America, as did my travel agent. We were both told, by separate people, that it was an isolated incident when a pipe broke while on a cruise. We were in cabin 831, which is on the same floor they apparently had the problem. Like a house, things tend to happen. We had a very very positive experience on the Ryndam and I know you will love it. If you order milk for a meal, order Shoo Shoo, thats Indonesian for milk. We had a Maitre D named Time and Agoos was our waiter. My mom is in a wheelchair and there was always someone there to help us, taking her off the ship, bringing her back on, pushing her through the buffet line, always there and ready to please. Have a great time!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks Greyson for the reassuring note about sanitation. You're right, things do happen, I'd just rather they not happen on my watch. I was surprised that they either weren't able to find another cabin, somewhere, on such a big ship or remedy the problem.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 PM

I have found that a lot of posts that come from people complaining about 1 particular thing on a ship, just didn't have a good time period. I have to say I worried tremendously when I read this as well, but found posts afterwards on other sites that said the Ryndam was fine when they were on it. If I remember right this happened in July 2006. The Purell stations are a prominent fixture, but personally I would rather use them than end up in my cabin for a couple days because some other idiot came on the ship sick and chose not to take precautions so they wouldn't spread it to other passengers. They even asked us in the port as we checked in if we had been sick in the past 7-10 days. They were being very cautious, which I think is great. Because a ship is so close knit and closed in, in a matter of speaking, better safe than sorry in my book. You will love the Ryndam, don't let it worry you. We had a fantastic time.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Also, you will be glad to know that you are on the same floor and side of the ship as the "hospital."
Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM

You're right Greyson that one bad incident can colour a trip, but smelly brown bath water might dampen and colour anyone's experience. And in this new age the use of perfume is discouraged so no masking the odours.

Interesting that you were asked about your recent health prior to boarding. Had you given a negative response, would you have been excluded or just isolated?

In '05 we went on extensive trip to Asia, during the height of the bird flu scare and were frequently asked about our health both entering a country and travelling within China -- 26 flights in all make me ready for a no fuss, no airport transfer, 30 day cruise!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 PM

We asked that on the ship, and they said you would not have been allowed to sail. OUCH. A 30-day cruise sounds so good right about now. We live in SE Minnesota, where are you?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 PM

It's gorgeous right now in Ontario, BUT fall cometh and shortly thereafter frigid January, which is when we sail.

This is a first long cruise for us and just our second one to escape a bit of the snow and ice of a Canadian winter. We sailed around SA on Celebrity last winter, but that was part of a 6 week holiday in SA. This winter's cruise is it!

Closed Thread

Tags
831, ryndam, stateroom, update