Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 AM

We booked a 24 day HAL cruise on Zuiderdam for our family (two adults and two children- ages 5 and 6). How long is too long on a boat? Our fears are: food will be bad; will we feel like we are being herded on and off the ship and at meal times; we are younger and active- will there be other people our age and will there be kids on board; would you recommend a cruise of this length? I am worried we may want to jump off the balcony by day 12! I think the kids will love it...not sure about the adults. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 AM

We booked a 24 day HAL cruise on Zuiderdam for our family (two adults and two children- ages 5 and 6). How long is too long on a boat? Our fears are: food will be bad; will we feel like we are being herded on and off the ship and at meal times; we are younger and active- will there be other people our age and will there be kids on board; would you recommend a cruise of this length? I am worried we may want to jump off the balcony by day 12! I think the kids will love it...not sure about the adults. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Twenty four days on a ship--even a wonderful ship like Zuiderdam--is a long time for adults--especially adults with two small children.

Several of your worries I believe are unfounded; for instance, the food should be excellent; and you will never feel "hearded"; cruise ships are use to accomodating lots of passengers and they do it quite efficiently--especially Holland America.

But on a cruise that long there will not be a lot of younger people with young children. I am all in favor of family vacations and taking children on cruises--it is a great opportunity to teach and practice the social graces; but I would urge you to rethink the length of your cruise. I would suggest trying 5-7 at first and see how it goes. Then, if everybody loves it, as I'm sure they will, increase the length gradually.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Thank you. We have taken a few other cruises previously but without the kids. The last one was a 7 day on Jewel of the Seas in the Carribean. Any idea how the food compares (RCCL to Holland)? We aren't picky eaters, but we found the food on RCCL to be a bit too cafeteria. Our cruise is broken down into 2 12 day options, so we were debating taking a 12 day instead of the 24 day. Our problem is that the 12 day option we want does not have any quad rooms available except in the most expensive suites. We found a similar itinerary on Seabourne but they have no children's program. We are traveling for 10 weeks total, so we would like (i.e. need) to spend a few nights out without the kids. 24 days in 250 square feet...it should make for some great stories. Thanks again
Old 01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, when you put it in perspective like that, two weeks out of ten dosen't seem like such a long time; it might even be a nice break.

I have never been on RCI so I can't make comparisons. But we were very pleased with the cuisine on Veendam this last summer--and there were four of us, from 25 to 91. Even the Lido Restaurant, although cafeteria style, was very good. But we took most meals in the dining room, and eveything was excellent.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Thank you so much for your insights...much appreciated!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM

I think it will depend a lot on when you go. Some time periods there are many children, others it is quiet because most kids are in school. HAL is not perhaps the biggest line for families. I know many don't like it for teens but 5 and 6 is different. They will likely have a ball with the youth counsellors who don't have lots of kids to entertain.

I would love 24 days myself!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM

24 days with kids is too long. SOmetimes we (as adults) feel lik ethe 20+ trips are too long.There are so many great things to see but, you get bored after the first two.
Take great books, check out the board games with your family, there are lovely kids rooms, etc. Good Luck
MOM of 6 been there did it..LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Destin Mom:
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 AM

The longest I've been on was a 21 day and it seemed like it was over before it began. I guess I'm the minority here, but I think it sounds fantastic. I don't know if the children are old enough to appreciate how lucky they are, but hopefully they will remember what they see and learn. To me travel is one of the best education systems in the world. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!

Closed Thread

Tags
24, 24day, 24daycruise, cruises, day, reviews