Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 PM

I don't follow crude oil prices, but when I checked NYMEX online, it's been going up rapidly
and is at a six month high of almost $67 and the futures market for Dec is over $69/barrel.

$70 triggers a (well justified) fuel surcharge of $9/day. We sail to AK on 6/5 (Zaandam).
Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Most cruise lines state that they "reserve the right" to impose the surcharge; but considering the state of the economy, I would be very surprised if they reinstated it anytime soon--certainly not by your cruise.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 AM

I agree with f-mattox. It is a "reserve the right to" clause. I highly doubt just because it hits the magic number to trigger it they will reinstate it.

Dwayne
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM

We have returned from the wonderful HAL cruise on the Zanndam. We were very pleased with the friendly crew, super clean ship, and both rated our overall experience with perfect '9's all the way. The ship was a nice size and the vibes were good. There were no surprise charges (and we even got a nice cabin upgrade). We are already looking at a HAL cruise for next year - maybe in the Med. The Pinnacle restaurant was well worth the token fee and the onboard entertainment was fun. HAL rocks!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

According to the HAL Web site, there are "presently... no plans to institute a fuel supplement," although that could change in the future. Click here for their official release.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Glad to hear such a glowing review of Zaandam. I've only been on one HAL cruise, but my reaction was much the same as yours. I was on Veendam, which is just slightly smaller than Zaandam, and I agree--a perfect size; not all the bells and whistles of some of the mega-ships; just a great feeling of being on a "ship" and not a floating Vegas resort.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:17 PM

I am glad you had a great cruise on the Zaandam. We were on her 2 years ago. we love the size of the ship. We did have a few problems. However we felt that they were just things that happened and are giving HAL another shot, this time on the Volendam. I am glad to hear you enjoyed The Pinnacle restaurant. We have made reservations there for our party of 4. we look forward to our upcoming cruise.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Hi WoodyKoko, welcome to Cruise-Chat and welcome back. Glad to hear you had a great cruise. Also, it's great that you're ready to book another. It so helps ease the disembarkation blues. We hope you will stick around on Cruise-Chat for many, many more cruises. We appreciate all input, especially when it comes to the ships. Good or bad, we enjoy hearing your experiences. Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, charge, crude, cruise, fuel, number, nymex, oil, price, prices, supplement, surcharge, trigger