Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 AM

My sister will be traveling w/me on our first cruise. She wants me to make little reserve signs to put on the deck chair/lounge chairs. I don't think this is appropriate. What do you all think? Will our fellow cruiser hate us? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Hi Magic,

You win on this one. You should not try reserving deck chairs. That topic is a hot button around here, and on cruise ships. Some people put books or towels on a deck chair, and then disappear for hours at a time, eating, exercising, going to other activities, etc. Obviously, this is not fair and not allowed. Many passengers and pool attendants as well will remove such things from a chair if no one has come back to it in a reasonable amount of time, say 20-25 minutes. Some people legitimately leave their chair to get a drink at the bar or grab lunch at the buffet, but anything longer than that is unfair, and, frankly, obnoxious.

Sandy
Old 02-12-2007, 05:16 PM

I am not shy about removing stuff from a chair that has been saved. If I notice one I will remove the stuff after 30 to 40 minutes, even if I do not want a chair at that time.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 AM

I absolutely agree with Sandy and gdjoslin... if no one shows up at a chair or group of chairs for 30-40 minutes, I remove the stuff and take the chairs.

It drives me insane sometimes to see how people "reserve" deck chairs... I've been on deck taking sunrise photos, and people will come up with their book, towel and a bag, drop them on the chair and walk off for hours. I've even observed a person "reserving" chairs on BOTH SIDES of the pool - so that they can shift back and forth as the sun shifts. How ridiculous can you get?? That's just not fair.

There's plenty of chairs on board, and you may have to "tolerate" a short walk to the pool, but so be it!!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Actually, for more peace and quiet the chairs that are NOT around the pool are best! I've thought about leaving my used/wet towel on one of the chairs "reserved" with a clean towel and taking the good towel. Why bother my cabin attendant when one of my fellow passengers is willing to provide a towel service?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Hi. I have 15 cruises and 200+ days on HAL and I can state unequivically that I have never had a problem finding a deck chair on the ship.

Were someone to attempt to "hog" a chair this way I do believe I would not pay attention to it at all.

The chairs are meant to be there on a first come first served basis. There is nothing less fair to other passengers than to think that the rules, whatever they may be, don't apply to you.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone so much for your thoughts. I really didn't want to offend or upset anyone so I'm truely thankful for all the insights and advice.
Have a great Valentine's Day!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM

I don't even think it's necessary to reserve deck chairs.

If you're with a group all sitting together, and someone needs to leave for a short period of time ... either to use the pool or the restroom ... your companions can readily tell someone "eyeing" that chair that it is occupied. No problem.

But if you're planning on leaving the chair for hours ... either to go back to your cabin to nap or whatever ... then it is simple courtesy to "release" that deck chair for someone else's use in the meantime.

--rita

Closed Thread

Tags
america, carnival, chair, chairs, cruise, deck, hogging, hogs, holland, lounge, reserve, reserving, ships, signs, towel